• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bench Seat sliders - release cable

dspur

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:34 AM
Reaction score
For my 69 Bee with bench seat:
1) Is there a trick to removing the sliding portion of these without grinding off and replacing the rivets / studs? I have yet to find the combination. I have since cleaned these up but they are very gunky and I'd like to clean them up better. If not I will soak in evaporust and keep cleaning, sliders move ok but I'd like to really get them cleaned and lubricated. There is no tab to bend up that is the stop, it seems it is internal or possibly the rivet/stud, got some more cleaning to do to try to get a good look inside but if someone has experience on these I'd appreciate sharing.
2) My release cable that stretches across the bottom of the seat is very rusty and I have not sourced a new or NOS yet, any ideas on where to locate one?

Once cleaned I have some metal work to do since they are very rusty on the bottom but repairable.

Photo Oct 11 2022, 7 35 19 PM.jpg

Photo Oct 11 2022, 7 35 25 PM.jpg

Photo Oct 11 2022, 7 35 31 PM.jpg

Cable I just 80 grit it til shinny again and painted black or evaporust. Soak the tracks I day for what you can’t blast at

Cable I just 80 grit it til shinny again and painted black or evaporust. Soak the tracks I day for what you can’t blast at
Thanks. Soaking in evaporust now. Pic attached of the wire, not much to it. Little spring is broken but that should be easy to replace.

5F3C63E1-1F09-4D70-85E5-86AB67BF9B0C.jpeg

Last edited:
Evaporust does nothing to remove grease, paint or anything else but rust.

A parts washer and a couple days of soaking will help. A cleaning with hot soapy water to remove traces of the solvent. Then a dip in evaporust. A trip to the blast cabinet might be a necessity.

Satin black paint will hide a lot of the pitting, etc..

And no, they don't come apart without removing a stud.

Evaporust does nothing to remove grease, paint or anything else but rust.

A parts washer and a couple days of soaking will help. A cleaning with hot soapy water to remove traces of the solvent. Then a dip in evaporust. A trip to the blast cabinet might be a necessity.

Satin black paint will hide a lot of the pitting, etc..

And no, they don't come apart without removing a stud.
Have already blasted but cant get to the inner parts, which aren't that rusty but just gunked up. Have been back and forth to parts washer and evaporust. Will keep soaking in parts cleaner and then maybe some "forced" hot soapy water. It's a process. I was just hoping there was some combination I have not found to get them apart. I'll keep at it, new ones are pushing $500 for the pair and these are salvageable. Gonna need a little metal work on the bottoms but that isn't an issue.
Thanks for clarifying

Have already blasted but cant get to the inner parts, which aren't that rusty but just gunked up. Have been back and forth to parts washer and evaporust. Will keep soaking in parts cleaner and then maybe some "forced" hot soapy water. It's a process. I was just hoping there was some combination I have not found to get them apart. I'll keep at it, new ones are pushing $500 for the pair and these are salvageable. Gonna need a little metal work on the bottoms but that isn't an issue.
Thanks for clarifying
Solvent or maybe spray Blake clean

Auto Transport Service
Back