• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Aluminum Head for 440ci?

The Satellite Cometh

Local time
2:58 AM
Reaction score
Been looking around and starting to put a plan of attack together for my engine.

It will be a street car 80% of the time and see the track on occassion.

I have an iron head '69 440 HP block right now, but was looking to get some aluminum heads.

I know alot of people use the Edelbrocks (I have a Performer intake on the car already).

My brother, wrench man, says Brodix are the "real deal" for Mopars.

Small chamber or larger chamber?

I have no roller rockers, but would get those in the future if I did the heads...

Then I need to pick a cam, it has a purple shaft in there now, which I think is pretty useless except for the "nostalgia" sound.

Any advice or points in the right direction would surely help.

Don:eusa_think:

A picture of the engine bay - just if anyone wants to check it out. I know it needs a MSD ignition....

Attachments

• IMG_8710 (2).jpg
    IMG_8710 (2).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 3,516
get a set of indy 440-1's. great heads with max wedge port.
if you dont want the max wedge port get a set of indy sr's.
with these you'll only need to buy 1 time.
i had edelbrocks but your limited in performance.they are very good just not great.

Also I see some different cc head applications.

What are the pro's and cons of 84cc vs. 88cc. I know the bigger chamber will lower compression a tiny bit....

What are your goals with this motor.Are you going to leave the bottom end as is or are you going to stroke it.If you are going to leave it stock a set of indy ez heads with a quality valve job and set up for roller springs will be a great setup.They also leave plenty of room for improvements,and retain standard valve train,rockers,and headers.Then call up comp cams or have your head builder spec a good hydraulic roller cam.

Stroker setup do the 4.25 stroke for 505ci indy 440-1 or edelbrock victors with some port work 11.1cr roller cam and T&D rockers stud girdle single line external pump indy single plain 4150 flange intake holley hp1000.Then you can replace the drive train as you break it.
With all this said don't but the heads from indy,buy them from a quality builder.Don't make the mistakes many have made before you.

Not looking for a flat out race car, just a weekend warrior that I can still drive for some time without going deaf or getting pissed off.

save your $$ and go with the edelbrock performer rpm ... both indy and eddy are good, but if not racing the car the eddys will work great ...

I went with the Indy EZ heads for my 440 in my street/strip 63 Plymouth. They flow great and you can get Max Wedge or standard ports. And the exh is in the stock location so you dont need special headers. They are 75 cc. Ron

The rpm are a great head,unfortunately they require to much work to get them there.The chambers are to large and out of the box they need valve work most of the time.Then they require a bowl port and chamber work to free up the flow a bit.Then cut the heads to get the chambers small enough to build some compression.The indy ez are the head you really need.You will need the small combustion chambers.You want a cr of atleast 10.5to1,11to1 would be great.Run on premium junk no problem.Have them setup for a hyraulic roller cam.You can run the intake you have,2"headers3"collector tti work well.rockers at minimum harland sharp don't skimp here.Smith Bros.pushrods is my personal favorite.Actually hughes engines builds a quality rocker setup also.If you do go with indy get the two piece valley cover.This setup is a nofuss turn key weekend warrior kick the hell out of the pimple face driving the raggedy mustang or tuner twit.

The rpm are a great head,unfortunately they require to much work to get them there.The chambers are to large and out of the box they need valve work most of the time.Then they require a bowl port and chamber work to free up the flow a bit.Then cut the heads to get the chambers small enough to build some compression.The indy ez are the head you really need.You will need the small combustion chambers.You want a cr of atleast 10.5to1,11to1 would be great.Run on premium junk no problem.Have them setup for a hyraulic roller cam.You can run the intake you have,2"headers3"collector tti work well.rockers at minimum harland sharp don't skimp here.Smith Bros.pushrods is my personal favorite.Actually hughes engines builds a quality rocker setup also.If you do go with indy get the two piece valley cover.This setup is a nofuss turn key weekend warrior kick the hell out of the pimple face driving the raggedy mustang or tuner twit.

That's what I am looking for. LOL

That's what I am looking for. LOL

Thats just what my eng is. Indy EZ heads and I have the 2 piece valley pan plate. Only I used a healthy flat tappet cam. I just put the eng in about 2 weeks ago and it runs great. I amd pretty sure it will put my 63 in the 10s as it really feels strong. Intake flow was 345 @ .600 AND 339 @ .500. Ron

100_1451.jpg

This is some good info here guys.... Any comments / complaints on 440source alum. heads

heard there was a gasket issue with the first run, but supposedly that got fixed.

Just for your information. i went 9.86 with untouched 440-1 heads in a 3400 lb. coronet. with Caltracs.and 13/1 compression with a mild roller cam. i think it was a .711 lift comp. roller cam.
My money is with 440-1 indy heads but what do i know?

Attachments

• NENDRA lebanon valley 65 blue dodge 006.jpg
    NENDRA lebanon valley 65 blue dodge 006.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 3,026
going alot faster with 572-13 345ccnc ported heads.
4.50 bore and 4.625 stroke.

Attachments

• NENDRA lebanon valley 65 blue dodge 013.jpg
    NENDRA lebanon valley 65 blue dodge 013.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 2,884
my 2 cents
if racing Brodix/Indy are the first choice.
street strip any and all seem to work.mostly personal preference.
indy - leaves some on the table for if you step up
eddy -angle plugs too close to most headers
source - need prep, replace retainers/locks on bigger cams.BUT have straight plugs and look externally stock when painted

i use souce heads with a 509 cam on my Satellite,i did pocket port them and cut to 78cc chamber.
if i step up the cam next year i will replace retainers/locks and springs

Tex

The source heads are the same as rpm heads.They use the same cnc programs for porting.The quality is a little different.

As for the 440-1 the port volume is to much for a cruiser,the raised exhaust ports cause problems with headers and column shifts and power steering.The external oil lines can be problematic at times with leaks.Don't get me wrong they are a great head period.For the use of a cruiser,they are to much.No way am I saying they don't make tons of power,just wrong for the combo.

Since I have a set of Source heads (haven't install them yet), it's good to hear they don't have any real issues. I was planning on using them for a Pro-Street set up with occasional trip to the track.

Auto Transport Service
Back