• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

best progressive rock band you never heard.

3sloppydogs

Local time
8:08 AM
Reaction score
Just had time to write this. There is a small club that plays small local and national acts. It is a really cool venue. We have seen several bands there such as the nighthawks, jose ramirez and others. Generally a small group of us usually go.
So last Friday night we saw a band called Crack the Sky. They were a staple around this area in the late 70s to early 80s but never broke through to big stardom. The critics loved them as did many other bands but bad record deals and lack of AOR radio stations hurt them. Their album stuff is great but the live stuff is fantastic. I hadn't seen them in probably 45years but man they still have it.
Its funny how that is with live music. It is so much better then studio stuff sometimes, Joe Bonamassa is another like that.
Anyway check them out. Crack the Sky live.
Couple songs Lighten up Mcgraw, Surf city, Shes a dancer and ice

What is "a progressive" Rock band ?

maybe add a video

not sure I've heard that term for Rock bands

my meaning of "a progressive", rock band or otherwise
may not be the same as yours

the synthesizer era type stuff ?
or techno rock ?
or the guys in the mash pits, "head bangers/skinheads"
I was never a fan of either of them movements, at all

Give me my good ol' Rock & Roll,
AC/DC, Nugent, Lynard Skynyrd, Rossington Collins Band, Hendricks
Frampton, Molly Hatchet, Nazareth, Judis Priest, Dr. Hook & Medicine show
Aerosmith, Van Hallen, Sammy Hagar, Cream, Bob Seagar, Kiss :blah::blah::blah:
or the oldies like Elvis or Motown, British Invasion

Last edited:
Its not a straightforward rock band. More like Rush,Yes or Jethro Tull. They mix different genres in the music use the instruments differently

Its not a straightforward rock band. More like Rush,Yes or Jethro Tull. They mix different genres in the music use the instruments differently
:thankyou:
I liked Rush, a few from Jethro Tull, not sure about Yes...
Flute music in my Rock, is not my forte'

Blue Oyster Cult, I liked their stuff

What is "a progressive" Rock band ?

maybe add a video

not sure I've heard that term for Rock bands

my meaning of "a progressive", rock band or otherwise
may not be the same as yours

the synthesizer era type stuff ?
or techno rock ?
or the guys in the mash pits, "head bangers/skinheads"
I was never a fan of either of them movements, at all

Give me my good ol' Rock & Roll,
AC/DC, Nugent, Lynard Skynyrd, Rossington Collins Band, Hendricks
Frampton, Molly Hatchet, Nazareth, Judis Priest, Dr. Hook & Medicine show
Aerosmith, Van Hallen, Sammy Hagar, Cream, Bob Seagar, Kiss :blah::blah::blah:
or the oldies like Elvis or Motown, British Invasion
Best example of Prog I can think of are King Crimson, early Yes, real early Genesis, Tull and even dream theatre. Havent heard of this band, but will look into it. Likin me some Prog...

I'm fairly certain that Rush got a boost in sales following an episode of 'Chuck' a few years ago....

(sorry about the Baldwin bro ...at least he's a good one)

I never heard of Porcupine Tree until I heard one of their songs 4 or 5 years ago on Deep Tracks on Sirius. Now they are my favorite progressive rock band.

I never heard of Porcupine Tree until I heard one of their songs 4 or 5 years ago on Deep Tracks on Sirius. Now they are my favorite progressive rock band.
I'm with you on this one! Porcupine Tree is probably my favorite. Others include Blackfield, Opeth, Leprous, Soen, Katatonia

Steven Wilson is a talent and a gift for his music and his remastering skills

Flute music in my Rock, is not my forte'

Every time I hear a flute in a song I always think of...

images-6.jpeg

i had to search “ progressive rock “ , now i know , after a lotta years , i’m a progressive rock fan . i was never quite sure what progressive rock was even thou i grew up with it . i guess we all have our progressive rock favorite's, turns out most my favorite bands fall into the progressive group.

"best progressive rock band you never heard."

If I never heard them, how would I know that they were the best?

man-in-suit-head-scratch-d1fi3q8yncyhmooz.gif

Saw Rush at the Omni in Atlanta (now torn down) many years ago. Couldn't afford the good seats back in my youth so we were sitting up in the rafters. The second hand high I got by the end of concert was legendary, the music rocked especially considering they are a three piece band. Love them.

The best progressive rock band I never heard is __________ . Their music is very innovative. This is what they look like: ________________ . But, I've never even seen them, either.

I'm fairly certain that Rush got a boost in sales following an episode of 'Chuck' a few years ago....

(sorry about the Baldwin bro ...at least he's a good one)

Yes. And they also got a boost from the movie “ I love you man”. Pretty funny movie too.

Auto Transport Service
Back