• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The world's oldest rock band has retired.

They played Radar Love so much, it was predictable and probably timed by Disc Jockeys, but I was listening to it on the radio on my way to a girlfriend's house at half past four while I was turning a corner and shifting gears in my big block Charger 4 speed.

Love those 2nd gear G-forces

Saw BOC in Denver, 1977, McNichols Sports Arena. Tommy Bolin opened for them. Maybe it was the opium, but what a great concert.

This link is the whole album

Last edited:
If you guys don't have it, the album Moontan by Golden Earring is one of the best late night headphone albums of all time. Fire up the lava lamp, turn the lights down low, and get comfortable. The entire album start to finish is top shelf.

Radar love is one of the best late night driving songs ever produced.

Name from the paste top 40 days
Golden Earring...

good tunes, a couple good hits

damn 50 (actually 60 years) years 1961-2021, great run

Last edited:
... Maybe it was the opium, but what a great concert.

When I saw them in ‘81 buddy and I had a chunk of crappy hash the size of a bar of soap. It had some buzz, but was pretty weak. We’d shave off probably a gram at a time into the pipe. The guys around us had eyes the size of saucers watching us. We were thirty feet from the stage, shoulder to shoulder. All these years later they probably still remember those crazy dudes from the Arctic and their chunk of hash. The show was Heart, Ted Nugent, Blue Oyster Cult and Loverboy. A great day.

Last edited:
On the other hand, BOC (Blue Oyster Cult) is gearing up for the road yet again (celebrating their 50th!).

I've heard them called the shortest band in rock history. Apparently, they must all be vertically challenged.

I've heard them called the shortest band in rock history. Apparently, they must all be vertically challenged.
Nah, just Buck is - but nobody cares, dude is a beast on the guitar, not to mention vocals.

Both those Golden Earring hits still get decent airplay.

Tommy Bolin opened for them. Maybe it was the opium, but what a great concert.

Thanks for sharing that memory. It's rare these days to encounter anyone that even knows who Tommy Bolin was. He was Ritchie Blackmore's replacement in Deep Purple, among other things. Died way too young at only 25. I have been listening to "Private Eyes" since its initial release back in 1976. His influences on Deep Purple's "Come Taste the Band" are unmistakable and irrefutable.

I've seen Blue Oyster Cult several times (mainly in bars and small venues)
Astronomy is one of my favorites, this version is quite good.

'DRC in CT is having all request weekend....

BOCs "Me262" is going to be my request.

Radar love is one of the best late night driving songs ever produced.
The first time I ever went triple digits in a car,my brother in law had a 70 Challenger R/T 440 Sixpack car. 140 mph and radar love on the radio! It made me the Mopar guy I am today!

It's a half past four and I'm shiftin' gear.

I remember lots of guys thought it was "It's a half-assed Ford and I'm shiftin' gears".

Auto Transport Service
Back