• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Sunglasses for Racing

I’ve been wearing yellow shooting glasses for a few years. I feel they intensify the lights, making it easier to hold my focus.

Thanks again guys, you gave me a lot to go on, I really appreciate it.

Have a very Merry Christmas everyone!

My home track looks directly into the setting sun, so the darkest glasses I can get in the late afternoon, then lighter after dark when the brighter light from the Christmas tree can cause red lights.
Having to use prescription shades cuts down on the choices.
You could experiment with cheap yellow tint safety glasses to see if they work for you, before investing in shooting glasses. Yellow seems to brighten up stuff for me.
My eyes have changed a lot the past few years; started wearing script in my early 20's for distance then later bifocals. Then for years now the bifocal correction was for chit taking them off for close viewing. Now I rarely wear glasses at all except for driving. Most recent script dropping the bifocals! Night driving has been a bee-itch with the glare - those yellow tinted lenses help a lot, especially in wet weather. Going to get a script pair to keep in the car. Now as for hearing hassles...oh, that's a different topic...

My eyes have changed a lot the past few years; started wearing script in my early 20's for distance then later bifocals. Then for years now the bifocal correction was for chit taking them off for close viewing. Now I rarely wear glasses at all except for driving. Most recent script dropping the bifocals! Night driving has been a bee-itch with the glare - those yellow tinted lenses help a lot, especially in wet weather. Going to get a script pair to keep in the car. Now as for hearing hassles...oh, that's a different topic...
You sound like you are in a similar situation as me. Been nearsighted my whole life, had nine procedures on my eyes (I think, lost count)so when I had my cataracts done, I requested a nearsighted version, so I could wear plain safety glasses at work. My prescription glasses are on my face only when driving,, or watching TV, and I bought a big TV so I don't have to use them for that!

image.jpeg

You sound like you are in a similar situation as me. Been nearsighted my whole life, had nine procedures on my eyes (I think, lost count)so when I had my cataracts done, I requested a nearsighted version, so I could wear plain safety glasses at work. My prescription glasses are on my face only when driving,, or watching TV, and I bought a big TV so I don't have to use them for that!
Yeah been a hoot with my eyesight not needing any glasses most of the time now after 4 decades. Bought a pair of non-script sunglasses last year never thought I’d need. Doc had a hassle getting me in my latest script. My 1st go around was weird driving home! The steering wheel and dash appeared flatter; but then when I got out of the car, funny – I felt like I was 3-feet tall! Walked out into the yard, that view didn’t subside. Took those suckers off quick thinking I became the incredible shrinking man (title of old movie from the 50’s). Thought something is WRONG maybe diabetes; but checked out fine.

Yeah been a hoot with my eyesight not needing any glasses most of the time now after 4 decades. Bought a pair of non-script sunglasses last year never thought I’d need. Doc had a hassle getting me in my latest script. My 1st go around was weird driving home! The steering wheel and dash appeared flatter; but then when I got out of the car, funny – I felt like I was 3-feet tall! Walked out into the yard, that view didn’t subside. Took those suckers off quick thinking I became the incredible shrinking man (title of old movie from the 50’s). Thought something is WRONG maybe diabetes; but checked out fine.
I've kinda got the opposite problem. Last repair on the one eye left the vision clear, but the focal length is off, everything is farther away than it really is.
I'm a bit over six feet, so when I look down at my feet, with one eye they are five feet away, like they really are, the other eye says they are six and a half feet away, lol.

I've kinda got the opposite problem. Last repair on the one eye left the vision clear, but the focal length is off, everything is farther away than it really is.
I'm a bit over six feet, so when I look down at my feet, with one eye they are five feet away, like they really are, the other eye says they are six and a half feet away, lol.

Be careful in the bathroom. :D

I have a mirrored visor...

20200321_223739.jpg

I think that Oakleys would be the best choice. If you can't look good in them, give up.

I was thinking about getting a pair of Sunglasses for when I'm racing.

What color lenses are you guys using?

Thanks

Kevin
I use the yellow cheap safety glasses (3.00) each, i am 72 and the yellow lights on the tree just blur together when they"re on, the yellow lenses takes the glare away while still letting me see each blub sepertly helped a great deal. Dave

I said yellow shooting glasses
but my later years I was required by SFI/NHRA safety rules
to use a full shield
& I used the bright yellow tinted on that too
(I think it was polarised too, from Bell, with a Nomex head-sock sewn in)
if it was bad sun, I put tape on my visor, to help block it, if I could
a couple of tracks in the south were notorious tracks going 'east to west'
for the tree, you're starring into the setting sun

Auto Transport Service
Back