• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to clean parts after mock up

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
11:33 AM
Reaction score
My 512 is all mocked up. The rod and crank bearings are all lubed with assembly oil. I have to disassemble to gap the rings and some other things for final assembly.

What can I use to clean these up to dirt doesn’t get in the oil? Or is it best to just bag them as is? Maybe a microfiber cloth to wipe down crank journals?

This is probably an easy question, I just haven’t done this before lol.

Brake and parts cleaner aka Brake Clean. I like ac Delco brand, doesn’t get filmy like some others, and I like the smell better

Carquest brand (Advance Auto) brake cleaner also works well for a reasonable price. I prefer the flammable over the Non.

Brake and parts cleaner aka Brake Clean. I like ac Delco brand, doesn’t get filmy like some others, and I like the smell better
mmm... the smell... My kids never understand the smell of a classic in the garage...

Auto Transport Service
Back