• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Way to Drain engine cooling system?

61fuel

Local time
3:04 AM
Reaction score
I am trying to clean out the cooling system 65 318" engine, including the heater core.

Use plain water until flows clear or use a cleaner, some where I read about using liquid Dawn .

Will drain the complete block, where to get ride of old liquid??

sorry for basic questions

61fuel:icon_confused:

I use vinegar. It's a lightly acidic solution that gently cleans out scale without wacking the water pump seal. Antifreeze can be just dumped down the drain, it's not environmentally dangerous, just don't leave it around for critters to lap up, as it is poisonous to them, and attractive as it's sweet flavored. Dawn will suds up big time, don't suggest that unless you want that bubble bath look. A CLR type product works well if scale buildup is bad. Add a 50-50 mix of antifreeze, then change it again soon-eventually the system will be spotless.

I Don't think it's okay to simply 'dump' anti-freeze. I do believe there are some significant environmental impacts...that's why there are collection points. If an auto parts store sells it, I think they are required by law to accept old stuff for proper disposal.

61fuel,

In MD you can take it to any transfer station and dispose of it for free...same with oil, oil filters, florescent light bulbs, papers, plastics, tin, aluminum, glass, old electronics, kitchen grease...at least here in Southrn MD you can.

Sixer is correct - it's ok to dump it down the drain as long as it's going into a treatment facility (city water system). Don't dump it down a septic system, though. Look at the disposal info on a bottle of coolant - it says this is ok. I was surprised to learn this several years back - I wouldn't have thought it was ok before then.

Sixer is correct - it's ok to dump it down the drain as long as it's going into a treatment facility (city water system). Don't dump it down a septic system, though. Look at the disposal info on a bottle of coolant - it says this is ok. I was surprised to learn this several years back - I wouldn't have thought it was ok before then.

Correctamundo. I was EPA trained guy for Chev dealership I was at, THEY told me it was cool, though this was several years ago, and we all know what was cool yesterday will get you five years at Leavenworth today, or so seems the trend......

Be sure to open the heater control (place on "hot"), so you flush the heater core too, (if you have one).

Ever taste antifreeze? It IS quite good!

YY1, uh, antifreeze is toxic, lol. a few years ago, the Chinese were using antifreeze to sweeten up milk they watered down before they sold it. got away with it until they got greedy and put so much in it started killing babies. :nono:

though i guess motor oil, grease and WD40 are toxic too and if I see a donut I don't waste time with washing my hands first. :icon_rolleyes:

It's pretty, too. P R E T T Y !

A few years ago, while changing a water pump, I got splashed, and a couple drops hit me in the mouth area.

That may explain my facial tick and turret's syndrome, which I don't remember having prior to that.

Auto Transport Service
Back