• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to restore the underbody of a car?

A word of advice David, wear long sleeves and gloves. Maybe a rubber band around the glove to keep it tight on the shirt sleeve.

I had a chunk of hot tar drop off my putty knife the last time and it found its way down my sleeve. It sticks and keeps on burning!
20170222_181017.jpg

Well yesterday I made it to billings, and I picked up a cheapo heat gun at harbor freight, along with some scrapers. I also bought a much needed drill, and cut off wheel. Next time I get paid (this friday) I'll buy myself a nice big air compressor and needle scaler.

When you get paid ??????
In the theme of actor Judge Reinhold from the movie"Ruthless People"......
If you can't afford it, fuckin FINANCE it !

Ok guys, I've started removing the undercoating with a heat gun and scraper. Just taking my time to get it all off. What do you think of rattle can self-etching primer? I think this would be great to spray on in-between the bare metal and undercoating. Thanks - David.

Ok guys, I've started removing the undercoating with a heat gun and scraper. Just taking my time to get it all off. What do you think of rattle can self-etching primer? I think this would be great to spray on in-between the bare metal and undercoating. Thanks - David.
Zinc Chromate is about the best etching primer You can use. Dupont vari-prime is a zinc base.
For rattle can zinc chromate, check Aircraft Spruce.
Thing with chromate is, Do Not paint solid full coverage with it, but instead, leave semi transparent. Then scuff it out with RED scotch brite. Makes for a better etch & better adhesion for next material applied.

It's a Lot of work and even when there done you always find more ro do it's what keeps us going. I just finished removing the brake and fuel lines now I start the dreaded under body dance

1490664135174-1122341382.jpg 14906641882781324438659.jpg

What do you think of rattle can self-etching primer? I think this would be great to spray on in-between the bare metal and undercoating. Thanks - David.

I have used it many times with excellent results.

I've spent quite a few hours this week with the heat gun and a bunch of scrapers. It's coming along slowly, but surely. One thing I've noticed, which should be common sense, is that wherever the factory didn't spray much undercoating is where the car has rust issues. I'll be sure to get plenty of coverage when I re spray the undercoating. I just want to get the underbody to bare metal, cleaned, primed, then undercoated. My biggest fear is to find a rust bubble a couple weeks after its back on the road. I have seen "rust encapsulating undercoating available from eastwood, but I don't trust a product that "magically cures rust". So the underbody is going to bare metal, first.

I am currently doing the undercoat removal dance on a 64 Belvedere. I found it easiest to soften the undercoat with a heat gun and use a oscilliating ( vibrating ) tool from Harbor Freight, about $15.00, with the included scraper tool. The scraper can be resharpened or new ones are 3.00. Old age requires that you sometimes take the easy way.

Auto Transport Service
Back