• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Block Exhaust header gasket recommendations?

WheelsOfTerror

Local time
10:19 PM
Reaction score
Hi all! Looking at the Felpro 1414's to address an exhaust leak on the ol' 1974 Charger SE 400. I'd love a reusable steel core type gasket, maybe but I defer to hive knowledge here- y'all have been so helpful always. Any recommendations?

As and aside- this latest project car seems to have a little bit of a jinx- I've had to do every job on it about 3 times for one reason or another, so I'd love to nail this little problem on the first try lol

I fear the starter will go the second I get the header gasket in, for example. It sounds 100% healthy but again, that's just how this project has gone so far. It has made me tougher though, for sure lol

I agree with Remflex. Worth it all the way.

1969dartswingercleanupweek3 021.JPG

Remflex have an excellent rep, but also noted for being fragile during install.
Ive always used mr gasket header gaskets on my headers.

Remlex is best.... just don't plan on being able to re-use it. They are worth the price!

Been able to re-use multi layer aluminum gasket, forget which brand.If gasket de-laminates, use red hi-temp RTV between sheets and let dry, added a bit of thickness on re installation.

Also check to make sure the header fits all the way on the head. Had 452 heads that had a lip that prevented full seating of header flange.

Remflex is good. So is Cometic (which I use now). Pricy as heck, but multiple uses hasn't
stopped them from sealing every time.

Hey guys! Thanks for the recs! I will mull all this over and pull the trigger on something tomorrow. Where are you guys sourcing the Remflex gaskets?

I went with Remflex 6002 from Amazon- I never would have guessed they were the one to go with if not for y'all recommending. Thank you Thank you!

I just use the regular old felpro exhaust gaskets from the parts store for my headers.
Never blow out, only time I have to swap is if I have a header off the head.
I have all studs and star washers under the fine thread nuts.

I took blown out gaskets off my Dart... they have TTI embedded in them. Why I went with Remflex. The smart man in me keeps fighting the frugal one and keeps telling the smart one to throw the headers away and get some stock 340 manifolds!

Tried them all (almost) over the years. Remflex on Amazon. Buy 2 sets and be careful with them easy to break as said before.

Auto Transport Service
Back