• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Block Oil Pump is leaking from the cover joint, is this the right o ring?

furious70

Local time
7:45 AM
Reaction score
My oil pump on the Fury is weeping/leaking from the joint between the pump and the filter cover/adaptor, a first for me. Is this the right o ring?

More Information for MAHLE B45558

MAHLE B45558 Molded Rubber O-Ring
also listed as this felpro PN

Fel-Pro O-Ring Oil Pump Cover Seal - 13338​

don't know for certain about the o-ring but i had a hv pump leak at the cover. after very close inspection i found out the the pump cover wasn't flat and any o-ring would have trouble sealing that.

This one supposedly ran for years ok but then the engine sat for some years before I bought it

If it's a big block, I would be VERY inclined to just put a new oil pump on the motor....it's so easy to replace on a B/RB

I hear you, it's $2 vs $100. Oil psi has been fine so this felt worth investigating

Ok it's apart. And then it looks like it's the little o ring that was leaking based on external leak

PXL_20230717_012904912.jpg

So I've been looking for a gasket kit that has that. I thought this would

16899866000077046586943710200902.jpg

I think, based on looking at an pump gasket kit that the smaller diameter one may be it?
Because the larger one goes on the drive shaft

16899866883131598119915601889225.jpg

The filter adaptor has some light scoring that I can catch with my fingernail, any concern? Dress it down?

IMG_20230716_204337_01.jpg

Time spent chasing the issue and peace of mind knowing you won't need to again soon are worth the $$$. :thumbsup:

i've found thru the years that some pumps have round o-rings and some are square. they don't interchange.

i've found thru the years that some pumps have round o-rings and some are square. they don't interchange.
yup, as I looked at this more, the pump housing seemed to have lathe cut/square ones, they were nothing like the ones that came in the kit. So, after learning a few things, I put the new pump on it. Seemed leak free in a 10min idle in the garage.

Auto Transport Service
Back