• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Block Starter Replacement

4404ME

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:58 PM
Reaction score
1972 RR 440 4spd - If I were to replace the original starter, what would be the recommendation.. are the mini, high-torque starters worth consideration? Please name the brands, and model number, and/or what NOT to go with! Thanks!

One loop hole I found up here..
Used to get the new style truck ones, about 120-140..
Then went to get an original 67 starter and when we opened the box, they had started superseding up to new style. Except; they were still 67 bucks..
For the same new starter..

1972 RR 440 4spd - If I were to replace the original starter, what would be the recommendation.. are the mini, high-torque starters worth consideration? Please name the brands, and model number, and/or what NOT to go with! Thanks!
I got one for a early 90s dodge pickup v8 - smaller and more torque than my original - and less expensive than the high torque. Same bolt pattern. According to the parts store staff lots of mopar guys have discovered this and they are selling a lot of those starters now for bb aftermarket - mine went on a 75 400 block and fit perfectly and works great

Tee Ell, can you tell me the brand, part number, parts store where purchased? Thanks!

Put this mini starter on my Hemi. Only they have plastic cover that you need to remove and use terminals underneath it. OH $60 at my NAPA.
starter NAPA.jpg

I went with a Nippon Denso 128000-7810. Most of these starters kick ***! I got mine from a rebuilder
on Flea Bay.

Make sure to use the factory type starter mounting hardware. OE is a stud and nut on the lower mount hole and a bolt on the top hole.

I really like Powermaster starters and alternators.

Another vote for the Dakota/Ram starter. Mine is a rebuild from one of the box stores, lifetime
warranty and cheap.
It's been in service for over a decade now, over three different 440's. Works flawlessly and
tolerates extended cranking when the carb has lost prime.

Last edited:
Tee Ell, can you tell me the brand, part number, parts store where purchased? Thanks!
Unfortunately all I can tell u is I went into a Napa parts store and asked for a 93? Or so Dodge Ram v8 starter and had my old one with me to make sure the bolt pattern was the same which it was (parts guy said the bolt pattern was the same over a long range of years). I’ll try to find the box but I don’t like my chances - probably threw it out.

My NAPA guy said you ask for a 60's mopar starter your going to get a mini starter. Said they don't get enough cores. Sounds like they don't what them either.

Thanks for the information, and for taking the time to reply, everyone! I appreciate it!

Auto Transport Service
Back