• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Biomedtechguy 572 Bill Mitchell aluminum RB block build thread and other stuff...

This is NOT a race motor, its a pump gas street build that doesn't see the strip that often??:), it has to have manners cruising the highway etc. at low rpm with a 5spd hence the good choice I believe with the smaller heads and a small duration cam..... to keep velocity up and not blow the gas out the tailpipes with a ton of overlap (not my words, AndyF's from a post on Moparts on this subject). Most build a race orientated motor and use it on the street, we all put up with this in the past with comp and big cams/gears etc....this is the other way around much like my mates '69RR Sox & Martin tribute car that sees the strip 3>4 times a year only, and yes it does have big heads but that was not his choice.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies.
I'm hoping to make it to the track at least once a month, but I haven't ever managed that in the past. I've come close, and I like to go, and I have a few lifelong friends that take their cars, so it's possible to average a dozen times a year.
We will see. The week of Cruisin the Coast is guaranteed, and that's a lot of cruising and stop and go traffic.
Based on this post:
I believe with the smaller heads and a small duration cam..... to keep velocity up and not blow the gas out the tailpipes with a ton of overlap (not my words, AndyF's from a post on Moparts on this subject).
I have reason to be enthusiastic!

what we [email protected]" lash adjusted with our. 572-13's and 1.55 Jesel's according to some calcs I did for cfm/hp/et etc.
All in all the 2 motors are very similar,
@440rb
Thanks for the replies you've made to the various threads where I've posted and that awesome Sox & Martin tribute Roadrunner has a characteristic that I may learn from.
Do you have any audio or video of it running? I'm curious to what the idle will sound like.
Anyone else have audio of a similar cam at idle?

That's one of the things I LOVE about my current setup w/the 292°/.509 cam. Open the cutouts and idle in to a venue around 900-1,000 RPMs. Heads turn and I SMILE!

No no soundtrack but its not as radical sounding as that 509 from memory, not sure your going to get that with the new motor tbh.

The transmission only feels what the tires can grip. If you're spinning, the transmission does not see the full impact of the torque the engine is making.

The transmission only feels what the tires can grip. If you're spinning, the transmission does not see the full impact of the torque the engine is making.
Well, that's what the HitMaster and ceramic/metallic dual disc RXT clutch are for. I have to dial in the degree of engagement and then set the length of time it dwells there on the launch. The idea is to not spin too much, and let the clutch slip just right, every time. Of course adjustments are made as track conditions change. It can also be used to soften the hit on the gear shift, because I like to keep the gas matted once I launch, keeping the outboard carbs open.
Thanks

I meant the tires!

One thing you do NOT want in my opinion is a radial tyre on the track with a stick even with the tamer, something like a Hoosier 10>10.5/28 or 29 if it will fit, thats what we use (10x29@17psi) and it dead hooks@4400-ish flash launch rpm. you'll turn around 6500 with a 28"/4.10's@700hp/3800lbs? and around 200rpm less with a 29" tyre and and in the 10.20's @130>131 and in the 9's with some juice of course.

Last edited:
One thing you do NOT want in my opinion is a radial tyre on the track with a stick even with the tamer, something like a Hoosier 10>10.5/28 or 29 if it will fit, thats what we use (10x29@17psi) and it dead hooks@4400-ish flash launch rpm. you'll turn around 6500 with a 28"/4.10's@700hp/3800lbs? and around 200rpm less with a 29" tyre and and in the 10.20's @130>131 and in the 9's with some juice of course.
Thank you so much for that detailed reply and advice!
I've already consigned myself that with the 572, the track days of Drag Radials are over, and I have looked at some bias ply options.
I don't know when I can get the new AMD wheel tub replacements (vs the "strip of metal" kit from US Car Tools) to get some more room in the rear, and I want to get the trunk floorpan addressed at the same time. It had a thick coat of body putty on it the day I met Miss Victory at the Fast Lane dealership in St. Charles MO, and I pulled on the edge of the painted, cracked filler and a chunk came up. So "geographically" those areas are co-located enough that when the new, wider tubs are installed, it just makes sense to have the trunk floor taken care of as well. I plan on a chromoly steel roll cage, and I'm sure there will be a couple of fore-to-aft braces also in that area.
I'm likely to look for the widest drag radials (although I'm not ruling out bias ply 'street tires') with enough tread void in the pattern to keep me from being forced to park if I happen to get caught in the rain. My Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials have been OUTSTANDING in EVERY aspect of what is desired in a streetable drag radial, with the exception of a "shorter than desired for flex" sidewall. They look nice, but to have a shot at any kind of traction, they probably need more flex than they give.
I've been running these Toyo Proxes TQ 315/35/17 drag radials from the day I had the Year One aluminum Rallye wheels installed. 9" wide and 17" diameter wheel, with Toyo calling for an ideal wheel width of 11" and range of 10½-12½". The first thing I looked at was any sidewall bulge or concerns from my "cheating" with only a 9" width, but they look and run fine. I'm going to order the widest tire Toyo offers in that lineup, a the next size up from the ones I've been using, a 345/40/17 to see how they look on the same 9" wide rear wheel, and see if they fit in the wheelwell or leaf spring for clearance. 5" backspace is how the rear wheels come, and the ones I've had for at least 4 years clear everything with NEVER a rub.
BUT
If the 345/40/17 has no possibility of hooking on the street with the 572, but some kind of tire (preferably with decent tread void area) does have the ability to hook, on the street, my whole playbook gets rewritten and that means 4 new wheels and at least 2 new tires for street use.
For the track, I'm likely to see about a matching pair of rear wheels (but not a big deal-they are likely going to be 'track ONLY') with slicks, no compromise to traction, strictly business.
Any advice from those who know or have/are "there" I'm hoping for suggestions.
Look at this tread pattern and the specs, let me know if there's no real chance of these hooking:
Screenshot_20220620-103222_Chrome.jpg

What I have now:
Screenshot_20220620-103143_Chrome.jpg

I really like this look, if I have to go with something wider, and smaller diameter wheels are likely as well:

Screenshot_20220620-110332_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220620-110338_Gallery.jpg

And I really like these too:
Screenshot_20220620-110551_Photos.jpg

Or these (Weld Racing is the most likely source for 4 that look right together and have the dimensions that would work)

Screenshot_20220620-111754_Chrome.jpg

Here's the Toyo Proxes TQ drag radial, with the outstanding tread pattern that WORKS for safety on the outside chance of a puddle or rain:
tq-right (1).jpg

I figured I'd start a build thread on my Bill Mitchell aluminum RB (big bore 4.50") block, and I may throw in some chassis and traction aids stuff along the way, along with the Nitrous Express 6bbl N²O system if and when that time comes. I am having it gapped for up to a 350HP shot.
To kick it off, I'm posting my full cam specs that I needed some info from for B3E to get the T&D rocker arms tweaked for valvetrain geometry correction on the up to .700 lift TrickFlow 270 heads.
Here it is, comments welcome.
View attachment 1300140
are you the sane biomedtech guy on reddit?

are you the sane biomedtech guy on reddit
The "sane" part is debatable, but no, I don't have a Reddit account as far as I know and I don't have any social media accounts to my knowledge.
Now I'm curious why you'd ask?
What have you seen?

Thank you so much for that detailed reply and advice!
I've already consigned myself that with the 572, the track days of Drag Radials are over, and I have looked at some bias ply
Quitter!! Lol. Don’t give up on the drag radial but you will need something with more sidewall. The pro-touring stuff doesn’t get it done at the dragstrip.

The "sane" part is debatable, but no, I don't have a Reddit account as far as I know and I don't have any social media accounts to my knowledge.
Now I'm curious why you'd ask?
What have you seen?
guy under a similar name, with a medical background, comments about a bio stock that I invest in

guy under a similar name, with a medical background, comments about a bio stock that I invest in
Yeah, definitely not me. Medical equipment service, planned maintenance, and repair, and occasionally the rare refurbished equipment sales...and I definitely wouldn't be commenting about any stocks or "financial" related issues outside of our car hobby.

Quitter!! Lol. Don’t give up on the drag radial but you will need something with more sidewall. The pro-touring stuff doesn’t get it done at the dragstrip.
Yeah, well, I was probably trying to avoid getting flamed for the short sidewall Proxes TQ tires I've been running, and one of my forum friends in particular has:poke:me over that issue but not as badly as:nutkick:would be LOL. @Budnicks I know he's right, and has the experience to know, so I joke about him bashing me about the Proxes TQ sidewalls, but I also know he (and you and others) are offering good advice and constructive criticism.
So PLEASE, I know there's forum members who run on the street and have as much or more power as I anticipate, I'm waiting on tire suggestions, and I do all I can to keep my nice looking car out of the rain, BUT I do live in South Louisiana and while not as bad as Seattle (in many ways:rolleyes:) or England, it does rain here pretty often, my point being IF I can trust an off track drag tire to not be a guaranteed "park it if it rains" tire, that would give me more opportunities to take "Miss Victory" out and enjoy her.
By the way, I haven't posted much about it, but I believe a strong street car deserves a "race car" name, and I decided on 'Miss Victory' a few years ago. I'm a HUGE fan of Classic Rock, it's about all I listen to, and while I don't like Country music, Southern Rock is my favorite sub-genre of Classic Rock. Molly Hatchet has been one of my favored bands in that genre, I even saw them at The Warehouse in 1981 in New Orleans on their "World Disaster Tour"...
So you take my car and her attributes: manual transmission, 6bbl carbs and limited choice of intake manifolds, mostly street use, not much track use, and so on, and I believe that the races I win are definitely "Beatin' the Odds". One of if not the best selling Molly Hatchet album by the same name has the title song "Beatin' the Odds" on it, IT ROCKS and is one of those "driving songs" that when played in cars like ours should by law exempt the driver should they be caught speeding or other vehicular contest related violations! The main character other than the 1st person singer is his "partner in vehicular crime" Miss Victory, and I love 'playing the game' too. Here's a good representation of the graphics I'm going to put across my tinted rear window:
Screenshot_20180527-145856_Chrome_114429158952805.jpg

and here's the song, check it out!

So to boil it down , you're looking for a slick that'll put a 4000 pounder into the nines and and be good in the rain?

:popcorn:

Auto Transport Service
Back