• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Ghost going to auction.

More like an honest truthful crowd

Like said before;
it's marketing the car, generating hype-stories-exaggerations, legend
it's not reality...

doesn't diminish the guy

truth hurts sometimes

Hopefully, it’ll generate enough funds to make the family’s life easier.
Similar deal happened on my home turf in rural PA a few years back with a '69 GT500 Shelby Mustang that was parked with 5000 miles by an eccentric original owner. Decent car, but somewhat deteriorated when it surfaced, much hype by the auction company. Local Ford aficionados said it was oversold. Brought $280,000 at auction, not earth shaking in the big leagues, but it was a nice windfall for the relatives who inherited it.

Strange thing about that car being displayed at Mecum this weekend. The majority of the time there was always a LEO standing next to it. Watched many mecum auctions and all of them had a display car. Never saw a cop "gaurding" it like that.

Strange thing about that car being displayed at Mecum this weekend. The majority of the time there was always a LEO standing next to it. Watched many mecum auctions and all of them had a display car. Never saw a cop "gaurding" it like that.

I also was wondering why the car had a LEO next to it. Felt bad for the guy, maybe he needed a chair to sit? (Seinfeld reference). Seriously, standing in one spot all that time must have sucked.

dan-akroyd-backstage.jpg

Can’t say I recall the car when I and my buddies alternated between Telegraph and Woodward weekly between 1973 to 1980, Woodward was more serious than Telegraph and more cars got trailered there to cruise and street race. No doubt the car was there but there was a ton of built stuff that dominated.
Also it was a stop light to stop light deal and pretty hard to let your car stretch its legs
Finally many of you can correct me here if I’m wrong, but as far as stock goes, couldn’t most 440’s hold there own against a Hemi in say the 1st 1/8 mile? and also some of the other big 3 big blocks as well?
All said, great memories.

Stop light to stop light race, I would take a 440 -6 over a Hemi. 1/4 mile it's Hemi

His big secret?….4:10 rear ratio. Not exactly rocket science, but the friend in the video explained it like nobody else ever heard of one, let alone had one. It’s a nice car and all, but there would be no way in hell that I would sell that car, being such a family heirloom and belonging to my Dad. The money will soon be gone, and the car as well, just the memories will remain, and some regret too I suppose.

With electric cars being shoved down our throats and legislation being pushed to outlaw our classic cars, I can't blame people for cashing out while they still can!

I thought the story was pretty cool. If it were mine I’d keep it in the family.
The story is cool, and the car sure makes a case for heirloom status. However, that status can be quickly overshadowed by the the cash value of such a vehicle to most middle class families. And yes, whether it's from a car or some other source, windfall money is typically gone within a year. Wish it weren't so, but I've accepted that fact, and made sure that my daughter would never inherit any of my cars. The downside of having an attorney father.

It's a cool story and I am sure he went out there and beat up on many lesser muscle cars, but they are making it out to appear that the car was out there with the heavy hitters on the Detroit street racing scene doing battle with them and disappearing into the night victorious, which is highly unlikely.

It's a cool story and I am sure he went out there and beat up on many lesser muscle cars, but they are making it out to appear that the car was out there with the heavy hitters on the Detroit street racing scene doing battle with them and disappearing into the night victorious, which is highly unlikely.
I would say that 99.999% of the public is ignorant of the “heavy hitters on the Detroit” scene.
Probably 99% of auto writers also.

It's a story that gets bigger as it gets passed around. I get it, but really.

It's a story that gets bigger as it gets passed around. I get it, but really.
I've personally witnessed the identical situation with two of the Hemi Road Runners that were sold new in State College. Having owned a real Hemi car, and run it over the same roads, I've proven to myself that a few of the stories of the '68 model's feats of speed are pure fantasy. I won't try to burst the bubble with those who think otherwise. The ownership history of the '69 model has really taken on mythic aspects, but I've managed to clarify most of it by tracking down the guy who actually bought the car from the original owner's widow.

Auto Transport Service
Back