• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Ghost going to auction.

They got the name right. Anyone here ever see a ghost?

The guy who bought the car,said I bought it because it was a cool car,and I don't really care if the story is true or not. I don't buy what he says at all. Nobody throws a million dollars at a three hundred thousand dollar car. Millionaires didn't get to be millionaires by stupidly throwing money around. He knows that the car is going to be in a movie and he will probably sell it after the movie comes out for double or more than he bought it for!

The new owner, Ryan, said he’s a Camaro fan and went to Mecum wanting to buy a top dog Camaro there, but the bidding took off on the car he was after and went beyond what he’d pay for it. When Black Ghost went on the stage, didn’t think the cars bidding was going anywhere near what it was worth, so started bidding and ended up buying it.
Did he get caught up in the hype, or perhaps did Mecum shill it up and he got played? We can only speculate, but whatever, he’s apparently got very deep pockets, and he can do whatever he wants with his money regardless of what any of us think. A guy in his tax bracket can take advantage of tax write off and shelter strategies, including those involving buying and selling collector cars that most of us peasants never knew existed, so he’s probably laughing at those thinking him a fool and his money! He’ll make out just fine I suspect.
“Black Ghost” Hemi Challenger Street Racer Find a New Home

Last edited:
As far as I’ve read he did. Now his son is sold it.
The story seems to be interpreted by people varying on how negative they want to be about the son.
The story I‘d heard is that the dad while in his last days dying of cancer, signed over the title and said “Don’t give away my car!”.
So…. Did he mean “Don‘t ever sell my car, it’s an heirloom to be passed on generation to generation, to do otherwise would be spitting on my grave!”? Or did he mean “That car is very valuable, don’t let some flipper or vulture buy it from you cheap!“?
I‘ve also heard stories that the dad was approached by people back in the 80s inquiring about buying his car, and he was tossing out crazy numbers like $250,000 then. If those stories are true, I tend to think the latter of the two scenarios. He thought the car very valuable and wanted to make sure his son got lots of money for it if he sold it. Which he sure did!
But I wasn’t there in the hospital room when he signed it over, so I’ll never know for sure, and neither will anyone else except his son.

As far as I’ve read he did. Now his son is sold it.
The grandson of the original owner?? From what I saw, the son of the original owner was going to pass it down to his son - who I thought was younger? Not that it matters - but things change I guess.

The grandson of the original owner?? From what I saw, the son of the original owner was going to pass it down to his son - who I thought was younger? Not that it matters - but things change I guess.
The son of the original owner. The son didn’t pass it down, and sold it. Dustin

How do you just find out about the car when your father is on his deathbed? Didn't the son ever go out and look in the garage?

The son certainly knew about the car, and apparently rode in it when he was small. There was his tale about his dad sticking a Benjamin on the dash and telling him it was his if he could grab it when his dad was nailing the throttle.
And some of the little dents in it most likely came from incidents with his bike in that garage where the car was parked.
His dad gave ownership of the long dormant car to his son when he was dying. That part of the story seems pretty clear and non controversial I’d think?

Everyone has heard the hundred dollar bill on the dash tale,it's as old as the first hot rod ever built. I broke the top part of my 70 Chargers drivers side seat right off hard launching the car and was laying down staring at the headliner,no one was driving the car anymore!

In my Challenger T/A one night not all that long after I got it, I was 16 or 17, and my friend Steve who was a Mustang fanboy and had given me grief about my Mopar before was in the passenger seat. On an open stretch of road I hammered it, the engine screaming and the front end jumping up every time I shifted into another gear. I glanced over at Steve and his eyes were wide open and he actually looked pretty scared, like he was seeing a ghost. This car is fast!!! He yelled over the scream of the 340.
I enjoy thinking back to that time more than hearing yet another some money on the dash you can have if you can get it story like the one about the Black Ghost.

Auto Transport Service
Back