• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Ghost going to auction.

Had a friend with a 450 horsepower LS6 Chevelle. I was told it was the most powerful engine offered in 1970. That thing seriously got with the program. A rare car today.

The factory horsepower numbers are skewed. If I remember correctly, I think it was Arruisa who built a 1970 Hemi to exact factory specs and it dynoed at 465 horsepower but was factory rated at 425 horsepower. I would guess that an LS6 was probably slightly over 500 horsepower but rated at 450 horsepower. The insurance companies were cracking down on the high horsepower muscle cars and the EPA was going after them as well, so I believe most were underated,but they wanted to be the top dog. They were walking a fine line between being king and being banned!

Once the electric car is in full production, you will see them come after our muscle cars new and old. They will have the insurance companies raise their rates through the roof to make electric cars more appealing to consumers and outlaw and penalize people who refuse to make the switch over to electric vehicles.

Once the electric car is in full production, you will see them come after our muscle cars new and old. They will have the insurance companies raise their rates through the roof to make electric cars more appealing to consumers and outlaw and penalize people who refuse to make the switch over to electric vehicles.
I agree. The insurance will kill the deal for most. I guess the wealthy guys with their 911’s will be able to afford it though. Good for them! :)

And today's engines are even more powerful. Makes you wonder why the insurance companies aren't cracking down now.
Partly for the same reasons you don't need a rollbar in New cars until 9.90.
Cars are safer.

I agree. The insurance will kill the deal for most. I guess the wealthy guys with their 911’s will be able to afford it though. Good for them! :)
This is relatively easier to accomplish than an outright ban, and enables the wealthy to continue to indulge. I remember the insurance market of the malaise era well, my insurance payment on the first GTX was nearly as much as the car payment. I could afford it because I was single when truck drivers made great money, and Gen 2 B bodies were cheap.

When I was in high school, my fellow students (I won't refer to them as friends, because they weren't) would rag me that I'd never own a GTX because they would be outlawed. Didn't happen, but market forces ended up placing them well out of reach of most mortals. Just look at current auction prices. Get your modern day muscle now if you can, it will be the "Black Ghost" in another 50 years. I"m going to guess still street legal, but you will have to be a top one percenter to drive it. I recall an earlier post comparing the folks who currently own race horses. Same deal.

This is relatively easier to accomplish than an outright ban, and enables the wealthy to continue to indulge. I remember the insurance market of the malaise era well, my insurance payment on the first GTX was nearly as much as the car payment. I could afford it because I was single when truck drivers made great money, and Gen 2 B bodies were cheap.

When I was in high school, my fellow students (I won't refer to them as friends, because they weren't) would rag me that I'd never own a GTX because they would be outlawed. Didn't happen, but market forces ended up placing them well out of reach of most mortals. Just look at current auction prices. Get your modern day muscle now if you can, it will be the "Black Ghost" in another 50 years. I"m going to guess still street legal, but you will have to be a top one percenter to drive it. I recall an earlier post comparing the folks who currently own race horses. Same deal.
I think the present 'black ghost' cars will be the black ghost cars of the future before 50 years.....

I have always loved this car from the mags and the stories about it. I built my Challenger because of this type of car and era that was before my time
That Challenger you have and built, can be felt shaking the earth from down the road before you even pull into the local cruise-in, I think the asphalt starts to crack when its just sitting there idling.
Scares me so much I almost drop my beer

Throw up a couple pics again, many would love to see it I’m sure!

That Challenger you have and built, can be felt shaking the earth from down the road before you even pull into the local cruise-in, I think the asphalt starts to crack when its just sitting there idling.
Scares me so much I almost drop my beer

Throw up a couple pics again, many would love to see it I’m sure!
Lol. Thanks. Are you saying you don't like my mufflers?

20221001_151456.jpg

20221001_130946.jpg

123_1(1) (1).jpeg

IMG_8666.jpg

Pretty much complete and original, triple black , hemi , SE, 4.10 , gator top...... and some history to go with it.
Cha ching $$$$$$.

Uncle Tony has a new video out about what he thinks... Most of what he says makes sense.

Definitely a movie I will catch despite the back story controversy, but hopefully the screaming banshee in the trailer isn't present throughout the whole sound track.

I know... Old thread. But just found a really cool little story on you tube. Has nothing to do with the Black Ghost. But this is a true to life story about a man and a car.

I thought he was going to pass it down to his son to keep it in the family?

Auto Transport Service
Back