• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blackbird's 73 Roadrunner Clone...

Today we dropped the k-member out of the donor car...the last thing I was needing to be done so I can chop the swaybar tabs off the other car and weld them onto my car. Swaping out the body mounts and then the engine goes in.... :)

Had some rusted bolts to cut off, some sheared bolts to drill out and tap and here is the pay off.... The different colors are really messing with my OCD...

IMG_0369.jpgIMG_0370.jpg

rainy day today so we got the rotating assembly ready to build up today. Installed the Jegs double roller timing chain with a chain tensioner. Had to hone and re ring a piston because the engine had a blown head gasket and the rings were siezed on the piston. got some fresh heads to put on it cant wait...

IMG_0371.jpg

Made alot of progress today. Dropped the kmember on the other car we are working on. I chopped the swaybar tabs off of it and got the swaybar painted. my buddy got his roadrunners engine compartment prepped for paint tomorrow. I cut out all the rusted metal out of my floorboards. very productive day.

Tomorrow is supposed to be clear skys so I'm going to be welding...all Day at least untill the thing runs out of wire...

IMG_0373[1].jpgIMG_0374[1].jpgIMG_0375[1].jpg

Do I see another roadrunner at the house across the street?

Last edited:
Front sway bar was tougher than I thought...had to jam it in and weld on the tabs to the K-member...

IMG_0376[1].jpg

- - - Updated - - -

So far the color count of my car is up to 6 different colors.

Black
Red
Blue
Citron Yellow
Yellow
White

does rust count as a color? if so then its 7...

And now that the front swaybar is in I have got to get the engine in so I can get the floorpans in. I need the engine and trans in because I am converting from floorshifting auto to manual... the hump must be precise!!:3gears:

Last edited:
The more pictures I see of empty engine bays the more I am sure I really need to rebuild my front suspension before I put the engine in. :)

Nearly finished assembling the engine. Greymouser7 AKA John is a good guy for sure he has hooked me up with what is turning out to be a slick motor. The Oreilly autoparts store hooked us up with a 1460 Holley rebuild kit. :toothy10:

IMG_0378.jpg

You're a braver man than I for tackling that cowl rust.

Money says if it's that bad at the door jamb seam, it's even worse in the rest of the cowl.

Might be better drilling the spot welds on the top cowl panel so you can get it all.

Too much for me, but I've sen it done.

Kerry, this is the guy that got your slant six, flywheel, clutch, bolts, and bellhousing. You can see the car in the post above yours in the background.

I greatly appreciate how you took care of us with the price & helping me load it up into the Civic-it could not have gone to better home.

His previous build: http://www.forfmjbodiesonly.com/cla...ance-at-a-MOPAR-the-quot-BlackBird-quot-build

http://www.forfmjbodiesonly.com/cla...e-quot-BlackBird-quot-build&p=43096#post43096

- - - Updated - - -

Do I see another roadrunner at the house across the street?

Yes sir. My 1973, 340, A833 four speed, 8 3/4 axle, 88K mile Road Runner. I bought all these over the years inbetween deployments, and enough parts for a dealership.

Rich - Blackbird73 is really helping me out!

Looks good. Where did you pickup the water pump? That's a heavy duty housing, and hard to find a good one these days.

John and I took a real nice roadtrip all over Jacksonville Florida today to get supplies for removing and installing windshields. The windshield on my car is badly cracked and we will have to swap it with the one on the donor car. I also have a few repairs to make before putting the other windshield on. Its been raining alot here lately so not much has gotten done on either car...accept for building up my motor.

So I have a few things that have to happen in order.

1.Finish the suspension rebuild (because the engine is out and its way easier to get to now)
2.Remove the windshield and fenders.
3.Repair the rust damage around the windshield areas
4.Replace the windshield and fenders
5.Install the Engine and trans (all the above needs to happen because it's easier to work with the hood off)
6.Install the Hood
7.Repair the floor-pans and install the Manual hump

Last edited:
Been working on Johns car all day. Tomorrow gonna get something done on my car.

Got some progress to report...Quarter panel popped out! gonna finish it tomorrow :)

IMG_0397.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

Quarter panel before....

IMG_0344.JPG

and after...

IMG_0399[1].jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Still needs some fine tuning but I'm happy with it for now

Auto Transport Service
Back