• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blackbird's 73 Roadrunner Clone...

Rich, I don't know if this data helps, but this first link is the opposite of our dilemma (B-body 833 into A body) and it has some measurements (while I am waiting at work):

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/abconv.shtml -not so hot

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/four-speed-manual.html -not bad

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm -great stuff

http://www.darkside.ca/node/31

a quote from Moparts:
"Might want to revisit the shifter locations on a long vs short tailshaft A833.

A body shifter mounts sit farther back then B body shifter mount locations."

Last edited:
Problem will be solved tomorrow. the shitfer relocator bracket puts the shifter right where it would be on a long shaft 833 no problem. and we got the hood on today.

IMG_0425[1].jpg

Shifter problem solved today. So Can an A-body 833 fit in a B-body? ...Yes...would I reccomend it...no. it involves cutting the subframe crossmember, a special relocating bracket, beating the hell out of pushrods to make them fit, makiing a new section for the subframe, and welding it all up.

Don't do it unless you have NO other option....Not for the faint of heart. .

IMG_0426.jpgIMG_0427.jpgIMG_0428.jpgIMG_0429.jpg

The engine started today....and it was freaking loud with just headers OMG!!

That's awesome!!! I remember when I first fired mine, with just headers, shook stuff off my shelves in the garage, it was fun!!!! LOL

Finished the manual conversion today and installed the power booster and master cylinder...

IMG_0430[1].jpgIMG_0432[1].jpg

Rain once again has stopped all production. But I have made some serious progress in the last few days. The only thing it needs not to be drive able is...

repair the trunk pan
Install the new fuel tank and sending unit
hang the exhaust
install the selfadjusters on the rear brakes and bleed the brakes
install the lift kit shakles so the rear tires wont hit the wheel wells
weld in the floorpans
reinstall the interior

Then the body work can begin...

Last edited:
Hit the Junk yard today scored a bunch of parts for the cars.

passenger side view mirror
drip rail trim
plymouth bumper emblem
A/C compressors with all the brackets X2
window trim hardware
body hardware
A/C vacuum tubes
Heater valve with the cable
wheel spacers
licence plate light
swaybar hardware
center console ashtray
instrument cluster lights

150$

WE SCORED!!!!!

Man... You really did score! Congrats.

Let us know what your looking for still. Who knows who will help.

I mentioned I was looking for some thermoquad parts and bingo.... Someone here sent me a pm offering me a box of them for the cost of the ride.

I haven't seen a 70's Mopar in any junk yard in over two years down here.

They didn't have any good rear bumpers did they?

Man... You really did score! Congrats.

Let us know what your looking for still. Who knows who will help.

I mentioned I was looking for some thermoquad parts and bingo.... Someone here sent me a pm offering me a box of them for the cost of the ride.

I haven't seen a 70's Mopar in any junk yard in over two years down here.

They didn't have any good rear bumpers did they?

The junk yard was full of 1970's but only as handful were Mopars they had everything from 1990's down to cars from the 1940's. Not sure if they had any rear bumpers unless you are looking for one from a 75 and up charger I think they had one 72 charger...Greymouser7 would know better than me though. we are going back on saturday to pull a rear sway bar and A/C condensers and what ever else we can find. I will look...

Went to the junk yard again. hauled in come more parts for our cars...

front and rear swaybar
A/C condenser
fender turn signal indicators
A/C vents
Dash clock
3 speed wiper switch
3 speed wiper motor
Hood release cable
rear seat ashtrays
side marker connectors
inner fender splash guard

The rear sway bar is on. Got it off of a Cordoba...LOL its in a much better place now...

IMG_0433[1].jpg

Agreed.... I took the 6 way power seat adjuster from a 78 Córdoba back when you could still find them.... Works great...

Got everything hooked up and ran the engine for a minute and the power steering box leaked all the fluid out...and its not coming from the pump for sure....:thatswck:

I hope it can be replaced without taking the engine out....

Last edited:
Got the Steering gear out. I was able to swap it out with another one we had on hand. not even newarly as hard as I thought it would be. I nearly have the floorboards finished tomorrow I am filling some seams and then Bed-lining it.

IMG_0435[1].jpgIMG_0436[1].jpgIMG_0437[1].jpg

Went to the Florida Mopar Associations 28th anual Mopars with Big Daddy event, in johns 73 340 4 speed B5 Blue Roadrunner. John showed his car. Saw so many sweet rides really inspirational..I felt like a kid trick or treating at the swap meet. Got a windshield washer reservoir for $5 a left and right fender roadrunner decals for $5 and I also was able to have a once in a life time opportunity to meet the former owner of AAR fiberglass products I talked to him for a while about his hood that I had put on my cars in the past. I had a 68 barracuda that had the stock lift off hood more than once I forgot to put the pins in and drove off and the hood flew off the car and landed 20 feet behind me....those hoods are bullet proof I swear it...and the guy gave me the deal of a lifetime for a 73-74 satellite fiberglass hood.....75 dollars!!!! he ripped the 400 dollar price tag off and said its yours man...His name is Allen Allard and what a great guy. John was able to score a set of J heads for his car a cam and spring set for next to nothing as well. really good day. saw all my dream cars and saw the drag museum had more Hemis than I have ever seen anywhere. Thanks John

I have been lucky enough to lliqive in the right place & time to see ALL OF THE 50+ TUCKER CARS in Nebraska years ago. Nebraska has the greatest small museums in the country- THEY JUST DON'T compare to HUNDREDS of HEMI'S, DRAGSTERS, Ford SOHC Cammers, hot rod motors from the Forties to current days, T buckets, 1950 Mercury Stock & Chopped cruiser, a car company car called Moon, more car stuff than I can type or list. It's the best attraction in FLORIDA! Period. (Eat killer whale sandwiches Disney!)

I had a great time Rich!

Auto Transport Service
Back