• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blasting media for a cabinet

Last time I blasted a housing, I didn't have it as clean as it should have been and it took me awhile to clean all the media out of it. I cover the openings now and don't worry about getting anything inside of them....

First, I'd like to thank everyone for your input. It's greatly appreciated. I decided to give the ground glass a try. I contacted a company called New Age Blast Media. They have a plant about 35 miles from me so I was able to buy directly from the plant. Boy! What a savings! Most companies want $25-$30 for 50 lbs. This company sold it to me for $7/50lbs. Very nice to deal with too. Just finished blasting the face surround of the gas pump. It gave a very nice finish.
Thanks again!

Don't know if you have Black Beauty avaliable in you're area but it is one of the best for rust removal and will last for a long time.

Depends on what your blasting, leaves a lot of metal finishing to be done ..

Here's a pic of my cabinet I have, sand sucks to the pro's, the the novice's it's great! I can say that b/c I've been there and done that -- and no offense meant either to anyone. Use Alum Oxide, fine grit like 80/90 size, mix it with walnut shells (cheap), just don't buy this stuff at Harbor Freight, you'll pay way too much.
IMG-20110118-00159.jpg
[/IMG]
Nice try Donny.....lol

I've used various types of media over the years, mostly to de-rust parts in prep for paint. The glass medias and fine sand are good for finish work. Black beauty ( coal dust ? ) is also good for the last blast. Al oxide is probably the best cutting media, however you have to remember that not only is it cutting/removing rust, it's also embedding itself into the surface of whatever you are cleaning, so it's important to wash/rinse/solvent clean before priming and painting otherwise those minute particles could later dislodge and mess-up your finish.
You need a lot of volume to run a sandblaster as well as clean DRY air. Emphasis on DRY. We've run an 18hp motor/compressor with an 80 gal tank and it still has to play catch-up.
Last point: Keep an eye on your gun-tips. Using them until they are just about gone is a waste of time and media.

Screw compressors don't have as much a problem as reciprocal compressors with moisture. On mine, there's a huge water trap which does collect water, but, I've never passed it through and into my media but one time, that was when the valve inside that permits spill off of water became stuck and the moisture went right into the blast stream.

Auto Transport Service
Back