• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Block sanding?

Bens69PlymouthSatellite

Local time
7:17 PM
Reaction score
I have a 69 sport satellite and I was just curious about some block sanding techniques 4 getting all the round/curved areas? I know to sand in a cross hatching pattern but this seems really difficult on the contours of the body and the places like the upper fenders and 1/4s with those body lines there. Thanx alot!!

I bought the Snap On version of this block years ago, there's a slot on the pointed side that allows you to push the block into a different radius...it will lock into place (shape) for easier use.
I'm sure there's other companies that have teardrop blocks, but not sure if they're adjustable (as such) like the one pictured.

SN-524-523_lg.jpg

Purchase yourself a set of dura blocks,they come in a kit with all diffrent sizes.The kit cost 45 bucks roughly.Use 3/4 masking tape to pull straight lines to block up to.Also add to your shopping list guide coat,I like the spray over the powder.The dura blocks have just a little flex to help with the contours.

Check out this site:
http://autobodystore.com/forum/index.php?
Go to the fourms, they are super helpful and 90% of them are body guys...I have got some great info from them and Len is the site admin and a great guy. They sell autobody tools as well.
But on the fourm if you post a question check back soon they move along pretty quick.
AL

I like round blocks for curved areas. Durablock has one. You can also use a less rigid block on the curved portions.

I have the set the boys above are describing and they work great, but before they came along I used pieces of straight heater hose and for more rigid applications I would use various diameters of wood dowel or plastic conduit. Adhesive backed papers adhere great to them!

These are what I use, Adjustible Flexibility Sander (AFS). They work great! I have a number of homemade blocks also, but I use these the most. The less rods you use, the more flexible they become. You can get them from Eastwood or other places like that.

Attachments

• !B-+!qsgEGk~$(KGrHqZ,!gwEz)Ob(PdOBM-SUUEWyg~~0_1.jpg
    !B-+!qsgEGk~$(KGrHqZ,!gwEz)Ob(PdOBM-SUUEWyg~~0_1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 363
  • 31144_flexiblesander.jpg
    31144_flexiblesander.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 360
  • adjustab917.jpg
    adjustab917.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 350
  • afsmasterkit.jpg
    afsmasterkit.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 354
  • Flex_Sander_action.jpg
    Flex_Sander_action.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 354
Did I miss a thread showing pics of your progress???. LOL. How is it going Ben?

I have used that spongy pipe insulation foam but I put a coil spring inside to give it some rigidity while maintaining flexibility. That worked out great. I think with all the replies so far you will get the idea that whatever works is best.

These are what I use, Adjustible Flexibility Sander (AFS). They work great! I have a number of homemade blocks also, but I use these the most. The less rods you use, the more flexible they become. You can get them from Eastwood or other places like that.

I've been taxing my brain trying to find something that will work well on the relocated wheel openings on the AWB Wagon project, these look a lot like the hot ticket

I've been taxing my brain trying to find something that will work well on the relocated wheel openings on the AWB Wagon project, these look a lot like the hot ticket

They work very well. I've had mine for quite a few years now. I bought mine locally, because the guy that invented them is from Minnesota. They are a great product.

Auto Transport Service
Back