• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue smoke

Bigal75

Local time
7:29 PM
Reaction score
So I fired up my car yesterday after putting it away for winter and noticed blue smoke coming from the exhaust that wasn't there (as far as I could tell) before storage. I let it warm up and went for a quick ride and still a bluish smoke. The engine is a 572 Hemi, well maintained and babied. Of course this happens as I'm preparing to sell the car. Can blue smoke be caused by overly rich mixture? Plugs are black but not wet. See pic.
I'm going to pull the carb and go through it and clean it as well as change intake gaskets to see if the engine is pulling oil from the intake.
The blue smoke really smells like a mix of fuel and oil. Not like a two stroke. Rings perhaps?

received_490818381421912.jpeg

Usually if you get it bad on start up, it's valve seals but it tends to go away after warm up unless they are really bad. Take it out for a spin and coast down a hill, at the bottom of the hill, punch it. If it's rings, the blue smoke will roll

Just curious but why no PCV? You could be getting enough blow by to cause the problem.

How would blow by cause excessive oil to get in the combustion chamber?

Just found my rear float stuck down. It's like it swelled up a little and is rubbing the bowl. Will fix that 1st and give it a try.

How would blow by cause excessive oil to get in the combustion chamber?
Excessive crankcase pressure can force oil oil up past the rings, oil past the gaskets. Technically, blow by is the opposite, rings allowing fuel into the crankcase but it goes both ways. I've seen main seal leaks cured by adding a good pcv valve

Looks like the intake gaskets were not sealing. Wow.

View attachment 678456
That’s a fairly common issue. Check and see if there’s any misalignment of the intake/head face. I’ve used ultra grey on those gaskets and also have used Moroso cut to fit pro stock gaskets that have some crush to them. Torquing those intakes is a lengthy process. I use an inch/lb torque wrench and lots of patience.

Auto Transport Service
Back