• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Body Stamping Location on a 1969 Roadrunner

rich418

Local time
6:59 AM
Reaction score
I am ready to purchase a 1969 Roadrunner and want to verify the numbers.

The VIN, Title, and fender tag match.

Where would I find the serial number in the trunk?

Thank You
Rich

under the trunklid weatherstrip on the drivers side about midway. Welcome newbie! We'll expect some pics asap!

trunk numbers can sometimes be read without lifting the weatherstrip by looking under the rail and reading the stamping backwards dont forget the core support numbers as well

Top drivers side of the radiator support, pass side of the trunk drain area near the bottom, You should be able to read the trunk no by pulling the rubber aside slightly, both are probably rusty and hard to read though. Look at the rivets on the vin plate closely to see if they look original.

We couldn't see let alone read my trunk gutter stamping numbers until we were sanding that area, likewise with core support.

If it has an engine, check the block for VIN.

On my 383 it's just behind the engine mount on the passenger side above the oil pan.

Some pics

The 383 was replaced with a 440

d21 on fender tag shows factory 4 speed

99 99 special order paint (Bahama yellow?)

RM21 Coupe

Attachments

• IMG_6289_1.JPG
    IMG_6289_1.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 2,978
  • IMG_6285_2.JPG
    IMG_6285_2.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 3,036
  • IMG_6295_8.jpg
    IMG_6295_8.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 3,034
  • IMG_6301_9.jpg
    IMG_6301_9.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 2,940
  • IMG_6286_3.jpg
    IMG_6286_3.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 2,911
The vin is RM21H9G231219

So the stamping number should be 231219?

Does anyone have pictures of the location where these numbers can be found?

Thanks,
Rich

It might be just me but your vin rivets look different than mine. The ones on my car are thinner, black, and the center hole is slightly bigger on mine.

I see it too welder the rivits look new, and they don't look right.... fender tag screws not painted... zinc & clear unpainted screws...

Rich, I would say you do have good reason to be looking for body stamping numbers.

here's a trunk area stamping on a 69 gtx.

1969_GTX_TrunkVin.JPG

Rich the body stamping numbers you are looking for on the core support and trunk lip are the order number of vehicle , not vin. These order numbers appear on the bottom of the fender tag. Those rivets on the dsash vin are definatly not correct. I would be suspicious. I just restored my dash and had to spend 51.00 for correct rosette rivets. I know however that my car had never been dissasembled before me.

The fender tag is as follows:
Y39 end
a87 b51 g33 m21 r11 v1x
99 99 h2x x9 312 491807
e63 d21 rm21 h9g 231219

so i am look for the order number which is 491807

Rich, Yes I think so. Your order # is on a different line of the tag , since your car is a 69. On my 68 RR it was on the bottom line of the tag. Either way I believe that is the # you are looking for. Mitch

VIN tag

It might be just me but your vin rivets look different than mine. The ones on my car are thinner, black, and the center hole is slightly bigger on mine.​

Those are standard POP rivits..... There is no doubt that vin tag has been removed... The body numbers will verify the authenticity. Trunk lip stampings and the core support stampings should match the VIN on a 69. (Core support will be stamped on the drivers side and can be stamped on the top or on the engine side and read upside down.

You need to apply caution with this car... It looks as though it has been through alot of changes in inexperienced hands. Does it have a front sway bar...?​

Also... 999 is a special order paint code. Bahama yellow (EL5) became avaliable in April 69, The 312 build date is before that.​

The only numbers stamped on the car was the last six numbers of the vin on the radiator support.

No stamping found in trunk floor or weather strip rail on driver side trunk

1969 had vin number or order number in these locations?

I read somewhere that 1968 and prior had order number and 1969 and later had vin?

The only numbers stamped on the car was the last six numbers of the vin on the radiator support.

No stamping found in trunk floor or weather strip rail on driver side trunk

1969 had vin number or order number in these locations?

I read somewhere that 1968 and prior had order number and 1969 and later had vin?

Right on the VIN/sequence number use. Look real close that the radiator support for signs it's been changed, especially since there isn't a trunk lip stamping.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there also a VIN stamping on the package tray, in the area of the passenger side speaker mount? Seems I found one there on my '70 GTX

(Prop wash) Yes, someone added mid body trim. It is riveted on. Also, another weird modification is the radio antenna has been moved from the front to the rear quarter. I have no idea why someone would have done this.

(Blue Fury) It has front and rear sway bars front disc brakes and there are frame connectors welded in.

The current owner lives in PA and he bought it from a guy in NY. The guy in NJ claims that the car came from CA and at one point was a drag car.

I know it will never be a show car. I am just planning to cruse around to the shows and enjoy. I just want to make sure that it is a real Roadrunner. I expect that after 42 years a lot of changes were done.

So this is what I know: The Vin, Fender tag, Title and front serial number match.
Here is a quick clip of the motor running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8fUpeUmkoE

(Prop wash) It does have mid body molding someone added it and it is riveted to the side of the car. Also, someone moved the radio antenna from the front to the the rear passenger quarter.

(Blue fury) It has front and rear sway bars. It has front disc brakes and welded frame connectors.

The car lives in PA right now and was bought from a guy who lives in NY. The guy in NY allegedly bought it from a guy in CA. At one point in the car's life it was a drag car. I added a clip on youtube but the moderator has to approve it first

The Vin, fender tag, title and now it is confirmed that the radiator core support match. Would this be enough evidence that the car is in fact a real Roadrunner?

Some more pics

Attachments

• IMG_6287_1.jpg
    IMG_6287_1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 2,262
  • IMG_6291_5.jpg
    IMG_6291_5.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,333
  • IMG_6293_5.JPG
    IMG_6293_5.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 2,234
  • IMG_6304_13.jpg