• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Body Stiffening

aldal

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:14 PM
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for my question but here it goes. I am going to have my 65 Dodge Coronet stiffened up next winter including:

(I already have these parts)
1 - Frame Connectors (weld in) - US Car Tool
2 - Torque plates (four corners) - Autobody Specialties Inc.
3 - Front inner fender braces - US Car Tool
4 - Radiator core support stiffener - US Car Tool

The car has 43,000 original miles and is pretty clean underneath (I had it inspected when I bought it). I am going to install a Hemi (600 hp +) 727 transmission, Dana rearend (Caltracs) and plan to run it on the street and race it on occasion. Weight is not my highest concern, a solid ride is. As I tend to be hard on stuff, my question is are there any advantages to adding Safe T Caps in the subframe torsion mount area, just to beef it up? Thanks Al

Last edited:
1 USCartool. Why wait til next winter?

Anyway you can tie the front together radiator supports stiffener & to the rear frame sections to each other sub-frame connectors {& welded/bolted to the floor-pan structure} & rockers torque boxes {even a couple of tie in's mid stream on the sub-frame connectors, out to the rockers} & box them all completely in, it will help to stiffen the sections that are boxed, it's a good thing, especially if you want a stiffer chassis, with a Hi-HP/Hi-TQ combo in any Uni-body car... it cant hurt... good luck

Well, I can attest to two things (that I have installed). Frame connectors or a roll bar give added stiffness you can feel when driving the car. Both together make for a very stiff chassis. I can see where inner fender braces will add to the roll stiffness. I am not certain about the Radiator core support part, I have never actually heard of stiffening that before.

Have you thought about a cage? I'm going to install one in mine with supports going through the firewall and supports going towards the back too with tie ins at the suspension stress points.

I really like the idea of some type of roll bars or cage. I've already spent my years budget and then some so I will be forced to wait as I m not nor have I ever been a good welder so I'm forced to farm out the work. Thanks for the feedback it gives me something to think about.

Dang, spent the year's budget already lol. Heh heh, I know the feelin.

Well, I can attest to two things (that I have installed). Frame connectors or a roll bar give added stiffness you can feel when driving the car. Both together make for a very stiff chassis. I can see where inner fender braces will add to the roll stiffness. I am not certain about the Radiator core support part, I have never actually heard of stiffening that before.

I added a core support to my Belvedere convertible . . . mainly because the lower core support was shaped like the letter S and needed some serious help - it straightened it out, it looks great, and I think I can stand on it now and it won't move. You can check my build thread and look starting on page 22 . . . it'll show you how I did it. I ventured off from the instructions to cahnge the install and make the holes actual holes . . . go take a look, I'm really happy with the end results ! !

That is a very nice job with that. Now I am going to have read the entire build post.

I added a core support to my Belvedere convertible . . . mainly because the lower core support was shaped like the letter S and needed some serious help - it straightened it out, it looks great, and I think I can stand on it now and it won't move. You can check my build thread and look starting on page 22 . . . it'll show you how I did it. I ventured off from the instructions to cahnge the install and make the holes actual holes . . . go take a look, I'm really happy with the end results ! !

Frame Connectors are a must, Torque Box plates.... I'm not sure, I've been thinking about welding them into our 65 Coronet my self. The front inner fender brace I think is a good idea, I'm not sure how important the core support stiffener is.
As far as the Safe T Caps goes, I've never heard of them.

Is your 65 Dodge a post car or a HT?

That is a very nice job with that. Now I am going to have read the entire build post.

Thanks Badvert65 . . . I knew I forgot something . . . got all my parts from US Cartools - and being that my car is a convertible, it already has the torque boxes installed. And I just got finished extending the front seat brackets and tying them into the frame connectors, which actually connects the rocker to the frame connector ( just like Budnick's suggested above ) - WOW, what a different that makes . . . Think I'm going to take his advice and add another ( or 2 more ) further back and tie the rocker to the frame connector in more places.

I can't drive my car yet, but I'm sure it's going to make a huge difference, I can already tell when I jack up the car - it doesn't twist anymore ( the whole back lifts if I jack up only one side.

Your rockers should also be double walled....

Its a Hardtop. The Safe T Caps I have run across at YearOne and US Car Tool. FRAME%20RAIL%20CAP.gif

- - - Updated - - -

Cranky, or anybody who can tell me what do I need (as far as parts etc.) and how do I double wall the rockers? Thanks Al

Last edited:
Your rockers should also be double walled....
double wall your rockers??? Cranky your going to have to sell me on this idea!! Havent seen this done in the last few decades! Only time I have seen this is on full frame vehicles were they build a perimeter frame on the body. Usually found on those cars that are driven by those that don't know they have a right hand!!!:laughing9::laughing9:

When I installed a 10 point cage in my Cordoba, I added a bar between the hoop and front down bars along the floor to stiffen the middle of the car.stiffener bar.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back