• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Borgeson Box/Pump Hard to Steer

Zeppelin264

Local time
7:05 AM
Reaction score
I have installed a new Borgeson box and pump setup and a decent sized cooler. When the engine is cold and warming up, everything works great and it has great feel, but after a little driving the steering is tough to turn at a stop but easy while in motion. I figured this was due to heat, so I added a 2nd cooler and the problem is still happening.

Does anyone make a heat shield or heat wraps for the lines that might help keep the pump/lines cool? I have a feeling the headers(TTi) are heat soaking the pump or box causing the hard steering. I think my other issue is that I'm running the stock hood which has no ventilation and the whole engine just heat soaks. I'm running the Sniper EFI and intake air temps are always super high relative to ambient. Maybe a six pack hood would help? The car is not undrivable but it's annoying that this is happening after making this nice upgrade. Also running the QA1 front end kit.

If you speed the motor up does it help? Did you call Borgeson to discuss this?

Yea. Borgeson just says to add a bigger cooler. Kind of worthless info!

Speeding the motor up does not help. I wonder if caster plays a factor into this?

Speeding the motor up does not help. I wonder if caster plays a factor into this?

That is a BS answer. You should not need a cooler at all

I doubt the caster plays in to it. Remove the flow control valve assembly and you will find a small hex head screw with a fine mesh screen on the end that was furthest inside the pump. You should see some shims under the head of the screw. You might try unscrewing it and removing one shim. One shim should raise the pump relief pressure by 100 to 200 psi. Hold the plunger in a vise that has “soft jaws” or hold it between two pieces of wood when you remove the screw. The outside diameter of the plunger must not be damaged or scored. You could have junk restricting the flow at the screen. See if it changes with one shim removed. As far as fluid to hot check it and see how hot it is.

When I was installing mine I read that there were specific gpm & pressures the pump had to deliver. I can't remember the pressure but I think the gpm was around 3.
I have an aftermarket serpentine set up that came with a GM type 2 pump that is almost 5, but I also have Hydro boost and a large reservoir. I haven't driven on the street but it turns easily in the shop at idle.
Contact @ Bergman Autocraft, they are a sponsor here and who I bought mine from.

Last edited:
Using Royal Purple Synthetic fluid.

agreed!
We have had problems with synthetic fluids, royal purple in specific, it tends to thin out too much when hot and you loose assist due to fluid pushing past piston seals. We always recommend a standard GM power steering fluid such as AC Delco 10-5073.

We have had problems with synthetic fluids, royal purple in specific, it tends to thin out too much when hot and you loose assist due to fluid pushing past piston seals. We always recommend a standard GM power steering fluid such as AC Delco 10-5073.
You would think your tech department would of asked him what fluid or told him what fluid to use. Do the directions in the kits tell the buyer what fluid to use?

I'll swap fluid out and see what happens! Thanks for the reply.

You would think your tech department would of asked him what fluid or told him what fluid to use. Do the directions in the kits tell the buyer what fluid to use?

Thanks for your input, you are correct here. They should list what fluid to use.

We always recommend a standard GM power steering fluid such as AC Delco 10-5073.

I searched for exactly that info on the Borgeson website but i did not find it any information regarding recommended fluids, so I had send you guys an email, now I know.
I also think it is better to state on the website or instruction manual what is the recommended oil for the steering box. (manufacturer specification numbers)

Auto Transport Service
Back