• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

borgeson install -what am i in for?

In some cases, people get it in their minds that because they spend money, the part MUST fit perfectly and give them no troubles.
This is rarely the case.
Often times you need to make a few trips to an auto parts or hardware store, you may need to egg out a hole, grind an edge, rethread a hole or even use some shims to get things to fit right. When these cars were designed and built, I suspect that the factories spent a LOT of time to engineer the parts to fit together quickly on an assembly line. They had deep pockets to do this. The aftermarket does not. They also cannot account for all of the wear and movement that a 50 year old car has developed over time. What fits a pristine, unwrecked low mileage car may not directly bolt into one that has been wrecked or rusted and repaired.
I go into a project hoping for an easy time but also expecting to run into a few troubles.
Try that.

I have to chuckle whenever I hear the words "bolt on" or "plug and play." Yeah right, lol..

Nothing is bolt on lol....hell I had to buy shims, washers and bolts to get my entire QA1 kit on my car and I had to bend new brake lines for the CPP front disc brake kit that is “direct bolt in”. I also had to drastically cut down the pedal connector for the booster. That’s what makes stuff fun, figuring things out. If you’ve ever dented a pair of 1000 dollar TTI headers, anything else you do should seem easy in your mind

borgeson install update--once the header was out of the way ,everything sort of fell into place. had to raise engine about a quarter of an inch to re-install the header because I needed that much to clear my header studs. not so hard of a job for this novice mechanic, no more leaks.

IMG_6630.jpg
IMG_6633.jpg
borgeson update- the finished project
IMG_6628.jpg
IMG_6631.jpg

IMG_6630.jpg IMG_6628.jpg IMG_6631.jpg

above pictures show how much room the borgeson gearbox takes up in a 63 savoy with a 440 and dougs headers.

I guess it was worse with the stock power steering unit ?

so much better now. I don"t feel like I"m driving on ice . no leaks and better road feel, life is good.

I did this swap, and I used the Bergman kit. I had to shim the box to get it to line up. Also, I had to dent my headers more than the stock p/s required. The big problem I had was when turning the wheel, it would shudder, and squeal. The answer turned out that I needed the larger diameter fitting for the box. I do still have the hissing issue. I just try to ignore it.

So much for the bolt in solution. I think I'm just going to get the Firm Feel lol...

Auto Transport Service
Back