• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Borgeson vs Steer and Gear unit

19 69 GTX

Local time
7:51 AM
Reaction score
I currently have a steer and gear stage 2 in car and seems like a good upgrade over stock for sure. Question is how is it vs the Borgeson unit feel. Obviously it's smaller and weighs less but is there other advantages. I ordered it because I was going to do a hemi swap but decided not to . I was curious if I should swap it into car and sell the Steer and Gear unit or not. I know I need to cut column for new coupler as well. Thanks

Peter Bergman sells a direct fit coupler.
He advertises here and the stuff is good.

Peter Bergman sells a direct fit coupler.
He advertises here and the stuff is good.

So no need to cut column with it. Have you used a Borgeson unit do you like it

Yes have fitted a Borgeson but have yet to drive the car. I have driven a Dart with one fitted and it was nice.
General feedback is they are very good.
I have it in the car - zero slop on centre and 3 turns lock to lock.

I have a S&G and am happy. The Borgeson looks like it came off of a golf cart, and I can't get past that.

I have a S&G and am happy. The Borgeson looks like it came off of a golf cart, and I can't get past that.

Ha ha I think it looks awesome. The factory unit is one ugly duckling.

I put a borgeson in my 72 charger, I have no regrets
Steers great, no worries about header clearance
Money well spent

The good thing about the Borgeson is it's all new. The feel is like a new car when driving. I did 2, 71 Cuda and 74 Duster and love them.

I also currently have S&G stage 2 and it is indeed an improvement over the stock unit.
But decided to go for the Borgeson unit for the simple reason it has no slop in the center position, something that I find the most disturbing about the steering system.
Using the Borgeson coupler requires to shorten the steering shaft in most cases but should be easy to figure out.

I still need to do the install, do a search on the forum as there are a few topics about it.

I also currently have S&G stage 2 and it is indeed an improvement over the stock unit.
But decided to go for the Borgeson unit for the simple reason it has no slop in the center position, something that I find the most disturbing about the steering system.
Using the Borgeson coupler requires to shorten the steering shaft in most cases but should be easy to figure out.

I still need to do the install, do a search on the forum as there are a few topics about it.

I guess there is a coupler made now that so that you don't have to cut the column. Looks thebthe factory coupler almost. It's not cheap but what is. I googled Peter Bergman steering coupler and found it. Not sure what coupler I'll use yet

I just completed a Borgeson install with a Bergman Auto Craft steering coupler on my 64 Polara. There was no need to cut the steering shaft. I have yet to test drive, but that should happen in the next couple of weeks. The install was straight forward. The pic of the steering box on the bench is my old unit.

20220227_173858[1].jpg 20220221_101932[1].jpg

I just completed a Borgeson install with a Bergman Auto Craft steering coupler on my 64 Polara. There was no need to cut the steering shaft. I have yet to test drive, but that should happen in the next couple of weeks. The install was straight forward. The pic of the steering box on the bench is my old unit.

View attachment 1267048 View attachment 1267050

Looks nice man. I have the Borgeson steering coupler on the way..thinking I should get the Bergman idk..

I love my Borgeson. It has a better feedback than the factory one.

I put the Borgeson unit in my car. Bought the kit from Bergman Autocraft. It’s night and day from my old oe unit. Mr Bergman was very helpful and quick to answer a couple questions I had. His kit has the coupler which allows you not to cut the column. Money well spent. Drives great !

View attachment 1267048 View attachment 1267050
It has been a few weeks, almost a month.
Any good news to report?

Got it installed didn't seem a lot different from the stage 2 steer and gear. Looks nicer and fits much better.

Got it installed didn't seem a lot different from the stage 2 steer and gear. Looks nicer and fits much better.
You're the first guy that hadn't noticed a change in feel from the old box to the Borgeson. I had a firm feel steer and gear that I installed but the new box was so much better. Maybe steer & gear improved because I did mine about 15-20 years ago.

It has been a few weeks, almost a month.
Any good news to report?
I had the car out this week for a short ride - about 5 miles. Steering is way tighter and much more responsive. The bigger test will be next week when I need to drive to the alignment shop. It's about 30 miles from my place - bringing it to an "old school" guy - he's probably older than me, and I'm 68. Lot's of shops closer, but this fellow has been recommended by many classic car guys. My outing last week was deliberately short because I'm not 100% sure of my home alignment. First one I've ever done. When my car returns from the alignment shop, I'll compare his settings to mine. The drive home should give me a good indication of how improved (hopefully) over stock, my new system is. I'll let you know how it went.

Well, I’m still sold on the Borgeson from Bergman Autocraft. I drove about 30 miles on the interstate last Saturday to a show, 75 mph. Felt very good, safe, no need to constantly move the wheel like my old box. On the return trip I was late for a concert my grandson was in … 85 and up to 90 on same interstate. All great. Before the install I had replaced upper a arms with qa1, new rod ends, solid steel rod connectors, strut rod bushings, and welded braces on the bottom of the lower a arms. Bilstein shock all around.Next step is a bigger front sway bar and & adding a rear bar.

Auto Transport Service
Back