• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boy has the Mighty Mopar market taken a "dive"?

super-bee_ski

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:18 AM
Reaction score
Mecum Kissimmee FL
1969 Hemi Roadrunner
Sold for $82K

IMG_9708.jpeg

Need a lot more info before making any rash judgements... Some stuff sells cheap for a reason... Sometimes it's just timing...

Need a lot more info before making any rash judgements... Some stuff sells cheap for a reason... Sometimes it's just timing...
must be the reruns of that auction airing on Motortrend TV
yeah or when it goes across the stage,
no money left in the room, if you're on the docket later in the day,
especially on early days in the auction

seen a few decent deals, early days of the docket
& a few outright overpriced cars/Mopars too, midday people in a frenzy
get caught up in the hype, 2-3 guys in pissing contests,
just need 2 people (or shills) on the phones, that really want it,
there & already approved & credited, even to have a bidders #,
takes two tango/they're all there to buy, it's the ultimate captured audience,
with coinage, & 1/2 of them, with a drink in hand :drinks:

Why, wouldn't someone prefer paying $99k for a late 70's Pontiac TRans Am turtle slug, rather than a REAL muscle car ? Or, $110k + for a rot-bucket K5 blazer or a crap on wheels Ford Bronco ?

Last edited:
Why, wouldn't someone prefer paying $99k for a late 70's Pontiac TRans Am turtle slug, rather than a real muscle car ? Or, $110k + for a rot-bucket K5 blazer or a crap on wheels Ford Bronco ?
If someone wants a T/A, Blazer or a Bronco that's not my concern... Some folks would rather have a 1930's vintage car... Good for them... They want a Porsche or a Maserati, more power to them... Question is why this "Hemi" RR sold for what it sold for... Is it a J code car? Do the numbers match? Was the car a rot box? Was it restored or?? What's the quality of the restoration?

Why, wouldn't someone prefer paying $99k for a late 70's Pontiac TRans Am turtle slug, rather than a real muscle car ? Or, $110k + for a rot-bucket K5 blazer or a crap on wheels Ford Bronco ?
Trucks/vintage SUVs have gone nucken' futs the past few years/auctions
resto-modded trucks have gone ballistic

Notice you almost never/rarely ever see any 68-78 Power Wagons
or 74 & up Ramchargers/Traildusters, rarely ever
but;
every 10th vehicle is a 50s to now 90s GM or FoMoCo truck or SUV,
(I'm a big fan of the 53-56 F100 styling, but not at them prices)
selling for $100k, stock or resto-modded even more

let alone multiples 100's of Corvettes or 100's of Mustangs/Shelby's galore

I don't get the 78-80-ish Trans Ams, anything after 77' was trash
in the eyes of Pontiac crowd, the malaise era smogged turds, Olds engines
or Chevy 350s into the 80s etc.
just a few years ago, they were 'Tin Indian trash', now they sell for way too much
&
I'm a Trans Am (Firehawk SLP) guy too, I had several from 1970-2001
I don't get the appeal of or crazy prices of the later 78-81's or the Gen 3s versions,
not nowhere near that $$$
had a few Gen 3s, & a Gen 4 as racecars very swoopy aero

1st gen 67-69 Camaro, is like $50k+ entry level,
$100k+ for a real Z28/DZ302 or BB 396 RS or SS could be $150k
(had several of all of them, made great light racecars)
Why ?
IMO is if it was extremely popular, sold a crapload of them to begin with,
it will be even more popular today :realcrazy:
The early 2nd gen Camaros are nuts too 70-72s, especially real RS-SS or Z28s
now the 78-80s are in favor too
(I had a few of them too, I still like that 78 body style, not at their prices now)

Last edited:
Why, wouldn't someone prefer paying $99k for a late 70's Pontiac TRans Am turtle slug, rather than a REAL muscle car ? Or, $110k + for a rot-bucket K5 blazer or a crap on wheels Ford Bronco ?
Its the tuner crowd coming into their own. These are the vehicles of their youth. Look at the prices the mighty 50s T-birds and custom deuce coups are going? The Hot Rod crowd (predecessors of the Muscle car crowd) are growing smaller every year. Unfortunately we are next.

So smokem if you got em. That's my plan. My Millennial kids are not as interested as I hoped. Sure they will help. But not eager for seat time. (I know. CRAZY!)

First thing I noticed was the rookie painted hood vents. Probably the first in a long list of things that would need correcting to get a better price. Some buyers are stupid, others aren't. Good cars bring good prices.

First thing I noticed was the rookie painted hood vents. Probably the first in a long list of things that would need correcting to get a better price. Some buyers are stupid, others aren't. Good cars bring good prices.
That's true for the restoration stuff. I would probably lean more on survivor cars. Lower $$. One not on TV. But I'm a wimp compared to some of those pro collector and shops.

The seller obviously wanted it gone - No Reserve - No price protection. He was going to take whatever he got. Got to be reasons…..

If someone wants a T/A, Blazer or a Bronco that's not my concern... Some folks would rather have a 1930's vintage car... Good for them... They want a Porsche or a Maserati, more power to them... Question is why this "Hemi" RR sold for what it sold for... Is it a J code car? Do the numbers match? Was the car a rot box? Was it restored or?? What's the quality of the restoration?
My comment was satirical, albeit true. Of course, the RR could be lipstick on a pig, who knows.

Its the tuner crowd coming into their own. These are the vehicles of their youth. Look at the prices the mighty 50s T-birds and custom deuce coups are going? The Hot Rod crowd (predecessors of the Muscle car crowd) are growing smaller every year. Unfortunately we are next.

So smokem if you got em. That's my plan. My Millennial kids are not as interested as I hoped. Sure they will help. But not eager for seat time. (I know. CRAZY!)
It's the era of experience. After living through the musclecar era as it happened, the latter 70's cars, from firsthand experience, were mostly garbage slugs. As I compared them at the time to the cars that preceded them. One customer complained after I modded his Vette and Mach 1, that his brand new Bandit T/A was a dog. My answer: "I told you so".

It's the era of experience. After living through the musclecar era as it happened, the latter 70's cars, from firsthand experience, were mostly garbage slugs. As I compared them at the time to the cars that preceded them. One customer complained after I modded his Vette and Mach 1, that his brand new Bandit T/A was a dog. My answer: "I told you so".
My high school car was a '66 GTO. The muscle cars of the 60s then was all I could afford. That 389 Muncie 4-speed wreaked havoc on the rich kids newer cameos and trans what ever. I paid $200 for that car because of a decent dent and metal tear in the rear quarter. Went thru 2 clutches and one rear-end with synchro's in tranny shot before the poor 389 had enough of my abuse. Next car '68 Sports Satellite. 383 727. VERY close performance to GTO. In fact they ran against one another. Both 335 HP. Both 3.73:1 rear gear. Auto trans was more consistent, thus won most the line ups.

Never looked back to Pontiac since. But Pontiac is my #2 because of one GTO. (Still keep an eye out for a '66. But so are many others.

Those were maybe the best of times on the fun meter.

Auto Transport Service
Back