• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bracing - Floor replacement

BigFlo

Local time
1:05 AM
Reaction score
I've got a 65 Belvedere 2 door Post Sedan. I've removed the front floor plan - firewall to rear footwell section. The rear footwells on both sides also need to be replaced. Motor is out and fenders are off. Doors still on. Now that I've got the floor section out, I might want to send the car off for mediablasting before the new floor goes in.
Since the floor is part of the structure, is it recommended to get it onto a trailer and move it, without putting braces in to keep everything aligned? The frame rails and everything else are solid - no structural rust damage...and being a post car also adds some structural support.

The trunk floor also needs to be replaced. What if I also removed the trunk floor before sending to the media blaster? Would that reduce the structural rigidity too much?

Bracing would be beneficial, but in my opinion, with a post car, not necessary.

With regards to your trunk, I'd remove it now. It may save you a few greenbacks. These unibody cars are extremely strong. But I might ask this question: will the car be put onto some form of a rotisserie?? For the blasting phase? Bracing may become more important if this process was used..... Just saying..

Dale

I'm not sure if a rotisserie will be used - I'll need to talk it over with whatever shop I might use. But if I heard you, you recommend bracing, if it goes on a rotisserie. Good to know - thanks.

i had my 63 Savoy 2-door sedan blasted a few years back; i would brace it too if it was to be on a rotisserie. It just takes a few hours to fix the bracing.

Does anyone have a picture or description of where to weld the bracing, in order to keep everything aligned while the floor is out and the body goes on a rotisserrie?

I'm really interested in this also.My 62 convertible is receiving new floor pans (full front and 2 rear) also trunk pan.While I at it I'm thinking of removing the underseat pan ,this would allow me to media blast the full rear chassis rails ,then replace all the pans.(the rails are 50 years old and need redoing at some stage why not now).I'll build a stage with dollies to mount the chassis.
After this I would get the whole thing on a rotisserie and re media blast fully.
I think it's safer to do this in 2 stages just in case .

Been looking around for where to brace while the floor is out and while the body is on rotisserrie, but haven't found much. Any recommendations or pics?

Brace the car from front pilar to door jam, square the frame on a dolly and level it. Use shims to level on top of jack stands. also use a water level to check all corners. If you need to see more message me..

Auto Transport Service
Back