• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Braided hose tip

cbodybob

Local time
12:48 AM
Reaction score
19366633-0B5B-47F2-AC1D-98E3530B54EC.jpeg
Ok I’m watching Uncle Tony’s Garage & he offered this tip. On his Bottle Rocket project he is using braided washing machine hose to plumb from the fuel cell to electric fuel pump. He said it works fine & has a plastic (pvc) core as oppose to the rubber synthetic core on automotive braided hose. He said 8 an fitting worked on it. A 6 foot section at my local hardware store is $14.99 as opposed to $47.00 for a 10 ft piece from Summit. Anyone tried this hose. Does it work & is it safe

Uhh...
Fuel system isn't something to cut corners with brother.
You don't want a fuel fire, trust me.

PTFE lined is what i'm using on my 64'. Ive been told to be very careful about not letting it bend to hard because it may pinch closed inside and you wouldn't see it. That being said, is pvc the same thing as PTFE?. I wouldn't chance it. I know it was popular for awhile to use red pcv fuel lines on open hood hot rods but guys got away from that because they went bad after only a year or two. Also i don't think pvc has the same resistance to heat. It's kinda like the plastic in-line fuel filters that you see hanging over some peoples engines, ya, they sell them but...

Last edited:
PTFE lined is what i'm using on my 64'. Ive been told to be very careful about not letting it bend to hard because it may pinch closed inside and you wouldn't see it. That being said, is pvc the same thing as PTFE?. I wouldn't chance it. I know it was popular for awhile to use red pcv fuel lines on open hood hot rods but guys got away from that because they went bad after only a year or two. Also i don't think pvc has the same resistance to heat. It's kinda like the plastic in-line fuel filters that you see hanging over some peoples engines, ya, they sell them but...
Actually have a friend who owns his own appliance repair business. I ran this by him. He said it handles water temps up to 140 & more psi than the 8 I’ll run in my drag car. He said it bends easily & last years. Decades. Failure rate is low. Can’t imagine 140 temp to be an issue. But I agree I’m skeptical but Uncle Tony is the man. Lot of tips from his years of experience drag racing.

Never heard of him but my first impression of 'ol uncle Tony is he must be a dipshit.

I checked a chemical resistance chart for PVC and gas will have a "moderate" effect and states "caution advised". I'd pass on that.

I have learned my lesson, and am gradually replacing all my braided rubber line with ptfe(teflon) line. The ptfe seems to last about ten times as long as the rubber. And, of course, use as much hard line as possible. Braided line is to make connections, not run from one end of the car to the other.
I would be more inclined to use surplus aircraft parts than washing machine parts. Im lucky to have an aircraft surplus, and a hose-and-fitting place nearby.
I think i would be more likely to use regular rubber line and worm clamps than plastic hose.

PTFE and PVC are different animals.
PVC- Polyvinylchloride
PTFE- Polytetrafluoroethylene
I installed the PTFE lines on the Charger, a little tougher to work with than the steel braided rubber lines. Try and avoid really tight bends and you should be fine. PTFE is impervious to the ethanol in our fuels today, where the rubber lines will swell up like a pig. Bonus on the PTFE..no more fuel smells in the garage

PTFE and PVC are different animals.
PVC- Polyvinylchloride
PTFE- Polytetrafluoroethylene
I installed the PTFE lines on the Charger, a little tougher to work with than the steel braided rubber lines. Try and avoid really tight bends and you should be fine. PTFE is impervious to the ethanol in our fuels today, where the rubber lines will swell up like a pig. Bonus on the PTFE..no more fuel smells in the garage
Yes, that's what i'm going to use on my current project. Years ago i use the rubber/ braided steel line on my 31' coupe and with the tank in the trunk it got a little sketchy with the fumes. Felt like the car should have had a hull blower system like on a boat ,lol. Changed it out to a Ptfe line and problem gone.

I checked a chemical resistance chart for PVC and gas will have a "moderate" effect and states "caution advised". I'd pass on that.
PTFE is the generic term for teflon invented by Dupont. I work in the Chemical Industry and can tell you Teflon this the most Chemical resistant material Sold! Yes very expensive but it is the best and has very good solvent resistance.

Another problem with the washing machine hose is the hose washers and hose connectors. They are not a tight compression or flare fitting. I would be very concerned about leaks from the ends.

Another problem with the washing machine hose is the hose washers and hose connectors. They are not a tight compression or flare fitting. I would be very concerned about leaks from the ends.
Cut those off. In my post I said UT said AN fittings fit it fine. He even demonstrated how to properly cut them off

I don't know whethwr to laugh or cry !!!

I wonder if you could use the little line that goes to the toilet as a return line, that would be bitchin.

Auto Transport Service
Back