• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Light on Dash Always On

Dibbons

Local time
10:36 AM
Reaction score
Had to disconnect the connection at the proportioning valve under the hood. No amount of bleeding the brakes will turn the darn dash light off.

Now it only glows when the parking brake is applied and goes off when parking brake is released.

Vehicle seems to stop/brake OK otherwise (1972 Satellite Sebring Plus-front disc brakes: I suppose all the Sebring Plus models had disc).

plite.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure what you're asking. I think the light is to illuminate when the E-brake is on as you describe...

The proportioning valve is not working properly. Should be centering up if it was working. The light is there to warn you of the problem that it is not centering as it should when the brakes are released. I have had three of them from inline tubing that were junk brand new. Also, I've heard that some people are having trouble with DOT 5 synthetic fluid causing the valve to act up.

another great use for black electrical tape. fixed the brake dash light in my Ram in about 30 seconds
lol
seriously though, the problem is either the e brake switch is still activated or the prop valve isn't centered as stated above. you can check by unscrewing the switch and seeing if it goes off without loosing fluid

The gentlemen above are correct.
a) proportioning valve not centered (if it is "real" that means half your brakes aren't working, front or back)
b. emergency brake on
c. the emergency brake is off BUT the pedal (or whatever) isn't fully returned (lift up with your foot to see if light goes out)
d. there is a short somewhere in that circuit so the light just "thinks" something is wrong

About Inline Tube's proportioning/hold-off valves...… I got REAL close & personal with Mercedes with one of their parts......like INTO the back bumper! I had NO brakes at all (pedal would not go down) out of nowhere. TOTAL JUNK & VERY DANGEROUS!!!!!

It's not a "proportioning" valve problem, it's simply a pressure differential valve not centered. Disconnect the wire from the combo valve, if the light stays on the problem is in the parking light circuit. If the light goes out, you might have to remove the switch from the combo valve and manually center the valve.

Combo Valve.png

The easiest way I got the valve to center is first put that wire back on to illuminate the light. Then with car off and booster check valve pulled repeatedly stomp on the brake pedal about 10+ times till light goes out and valve is centered.
Ron

The easiest way I got the valve to center is first put that wire back on to illuminate the light. Then with car off and booster check valve pulled repeatedly stomp on the brake pedal about 10+ times till light goes out and valve is centered.
Ron
Some light tapping on the valve while stomping brake petal could help.

Auto Transport Service
Back