• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake light switch

Dusty Dude

Local time
2:42 AM
Reaction score
I bought a replacement brake light switch awhile back for my '69 Coronet 500 which promptly broke before the car ever made it out of the shop. It was the small cylindrical one sold as a OEM replacement. This prompted me to see if I could find a better more robust switch rather than buy another one of the pieces of crap I got the first time.
Pictured below is what I found and it fits like a charm, is a very nice heavy, well made switch and it can be wired either NO or NC. Very solid piece and was actually cheaper than the original and I didn't have to modify the bracket. Found it on Amazon for less than $13 to my door. Listed as "Mico Switch Limit Switch 15A 250V for Moujen M12_1308". There are several like it but this one appeared to have a bit more barrel length to aid adjustability.

Just passing this on in case anyone is looking to replace their switch. I made the three wire attachment tabs so I didn't have to mess with the wiring.

Brake switch.jpg

In the 55 years I have been working on these mopars I never had a problem with the factory switch. If you broke it it broke for a reason.

Interesting alternative for sure.

Glad I have spares of the OEM switch

20230610_125144.jpg

That switch looks like it could be used to activate cruise control.
NO = brake lights
NC = cruise control
Pushing the brake pedal closes the NO side, turning on brake lights. At the same time, the NC side opens, shutting off the CC. Neat!
It looks like a nice piece. I wish I had found it when I was looking for a switch for my CC.

Your inbox is full so cant send a PM
So just gonna post it here

This is a friend of mines ebay listings. Same place I bought the ones I have . I only have one spare . SO not giving it up
You can ask him if he has any left under the same number as mine.

This is the exact same switch, just different bracket , thus the different part number

NOS MOPAR 1963 64 65 66 PLYMOUTH VALIANT BARRACUDA DODGE DART BRAKE LITE SWITCH | eBay?

The following is the HD version.

NOS MOPAR 1966 PLYMOUTH SATELLITE BELVEDERE DODGE CORONET H.D. BRAKE LITE SWITCH | eBay?

Really? In my 40 plus years as an auto tech. I think Ive had to replace one , maybe two failed stop light switch.
Have to agree.. I've worked on a lot of old Dodges and have never seen a failed brake light switch.
Bad adjustment, sure.

Auto Transport Service
Back