• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Question about 64 Sport Fury

nitrojunkie

Local time
9:06 AM
Reaction score
I recently bought a 1964 Sport Fury through this site. Car is solid as a rock. Has 3 or 4 different colors of faded paint on it but the main thing it is very solid. The first thing I usually do on a car that has been sitting is completely rebuild the brake system. I thought someone had just slapped a set of drums on the front just to be able to roll it around. The brakes are 2 1/2 x 11. That's the first 64 b body I've ever worked on with that size brakes. So I pulled the rears off (man, I hate tapered axles!). They are the same size! Went to the NAPA store and they looked it up in their book and said that was the biggest brakes available for a 64 b body. So now Im curious....Could the 64 be a Chief of police car possibly? I wouldn't think its was a regular police squad car because its a Sport Fury, a top of the line car. I got to looking a little more and found this little triangular shaped piece of plastic screwed to the dash (About 1 1/2x 1 1/2). I flipped it over and it said 'speaker' on the piece of plastic. So, Could this be a police car or maybe special ordered this way. But if it was special ordered that doesn't explain the 'speaker' tag. Anyone know for sure? Im really curious now. Don't know that this makes any difference but it came from California. Thanks, Bill

Don't think I've ever seen a car with the same size brakes all the way around before. The fronts are always bigger.....

Cranky, thanks. All of the early b bodies Ive worked on had the same size all the way around but much smaller. Could that be according to which plant it was built at? Thanks, Bill

Cranky, thanks. All of the early b bodies Ive worked on had the same size all the way around but much smaller. Could that be according to which plant it was built at? Thanks, Bill
I don't know about that but after thinking about it, every car I've ever worked on had smaller rear brakes. It's usually only about 1/2" different. I've seen many with 11 x 2.5 on front with 11 x 2 on the rear. My present 66 Belvedere, which is a /6 car had 10 x 2 on the front. Was expecting 10 x 2.5 so thinking the rears wouldn't be the same size, I went to the back and found 10 x 1.5! Try and find shoes or new drums for that puppy. Well the rear drums were grooved pretty bad....bad to the point that a .100" cut didn't completely clean them up but they worked after cutting them and yeah, I tested them lol. Eventually, I stuck in an 8 3/4 rear with 10 x 2 and thought maybe I'd need an adjustable brake valve to help regulate the pressure on the larger brakes but turns out that it really wasn't needed. Since I've never worked on anything older than a 66, I really can't say what came on the earlier cars.....

10 inch drums all around were standard on 64s. Kinda sounds like your's was a special ordered car.

Email Joe Suchy at [email protected] He is the 64 expert. Not only does he own almost every 64 produced but he is a great knowledge source and sells tons of parts.

X2 on contacting Joe. Big brakes were an option so perhaps the original owner was thinking safety.

X3 on Joe - he'll know what the scoop is.

Thanks for the input everybody. One thing I forgot to mention is it also has bigger lug studs, but I guess that would go along with the bigger brakes. Thanks, Bill

On wondering if it was a police model, is it a four door? What engine was it? Bench seats, Pictures?

I uploaded a couple pics of the 64. It is a sport fury which only came in 2dr. Console shift. Suppossedly an original 361 car. Also note the 'speaker' tag.

Attachments

• 64 sport fury 001.jpg
    64 sport fury 001.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 221
  • 64 sport fury 002.jpg
    64 sport fury 002.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 232
  • 64 sport fury 003.jpg
    64 sport fury 003.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 220
My Belvedere has 11X2 1/2 drums front and rear. They must have been a HD brake option. Hopefully your drums are in good shape and can be refinished because I'm thinking that the 11" drums that fit on the tapered axle hubs might be hard to find new. Good luck on your project.

Is the speaker tab for a reverb switch? I'm trying to remember if that was an option in '64. Seems to me I just read a post on here stating their '64 had a reverb unit. I'll have to check that out...

Thanks Goldencommando, just found the same info.

The switch for the reverb might have looked like this one? Just a "Speaker" tab would have been a switch to disconnect the rear speakers. You never get tired of learning about these cars.

Attachments

• images-17.jpeg
    images-17.jpeg
    4.9 KB · Views: 224
Thanks guys, yeah, I hope the drums are in good shape too! I think the front ones are good at least. They are shiny black with no grease or grime so Im thinking someone put them on and drove the car very little. Don't know about the rears. Keep your fingers crossed. Never thought about a reverb switch. I bet that is what it is. Learned something. I do remember having a 66 satellite with reverb but this is the first 64. I think you guys solved the mystery. Thanks!! Bill

The VIN will tell you if it is a Police car. Here is a pic of a police dash in a 64 Plymouth alsoDSC02732.jpg
Notice under the odometer (certified), and the amp gauge shows +60 -60, the HD alt. This car had 11x2.5" brakes all around with sway bars.

I have a 64 fury Kansas highway patrol car I am parting out if you end up needing parts.it has the certified speedo,clock where radio would be.

Normally early "B" bodies with HD brake option had 11x3 on front and 11x2 1/2 on rear. I would suspect that if it has 11" front brakes that the drums measure 11x3 and over the years someone stuck on some 11x2 1/2 shoes.

Auto Transport Service
Back