• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

? Break in time/mileage and best practices for new ring and pinion gear?

Strange says 500 mile break in period on my new S60
that's what mine said but after rereading it,,,,after 200 miles keep under 65 until 600 miles..im at 385 with 20 minute cool downs for 30 minutes....will take it up to appx 500..no more stop at 20 miles to cool..and change the oil in it...done...

So the consensus of Dr Diff and my 4x4 shop owner, who was doing several rear chunk rebuilds while I was there, was a 10-20 mile easy ride, 1 hour cool down, repeat. I got my car back this afternoon (brought it in to him Wednesday) did about a 18 mile loop, I could actually keep my fingers on the chrome diff cover for a while (not hot, very warm only) and at the end of the 2nd run I leaned on the gas some. I see that my 440+6 is going to get in the fat power RPM range quickly, and stay there from gear to gear. I'm stoked. Thanks again, I'll post epiphanies.

A quick note. I like the look of my Mancini Racing "clearance special" chrome diff cover, but I want to be forward thinking (for the day I put a 6xxHP/6xxTQ stroker in) and I like the design and structural integrity of this STRANGE Dana 60 rear diff cover and that they have a separate kit for axle tube bracing that I can add later if I want to. I think the cover by itself is a strengthening plus, I like the drain plug too, and although not "bling" it looks "tuff". Opinions?? (if I'm going to change out the chrome diff cover anyway).
Cover:
Screenshot_20171111-012412.jpg

Kit, for later-maybe:
Screenshot_20171111-012445.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back