• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bringing it back to factory specs

Thee car looks absolutely astounding! I am sure your Dad is thrilled, and can certainly understand why he is bummed that he can't drive it with the salt on the roads. Now mind you, I wouldn't have thrown the car you had before the work began out of my garage, but now it is a whole different level.

Nice job - you should be proud!

Absolutely beautiful. What a superb job you've done. Hope your dad enjoys many happy hours cruising in a true classic. Well done.

A Peach....crazee how long the qtrs look w/ top down

Jimi,

Thanks for the compliment ! I agree but I think it has to be an optical illusion as I'm sure my quarter panels on my Charger are the same length or very close to what the GTX's are. I think the roof line makes the length look shorter due to the different angles. With the roof being dropped / removed, it allows your eye to get a straight shot at the length all at once.

I concur Brian....roofline makes things look shorter....sharp short there Man! I think dark colors tend to visually downsize and light colors do the opposite, so the medium tone with the dropped head/top exponentiate the illusion a bit. Peace

I agree, Jimi ! With the top down the car looks like a boat ! A speed boat but a boat none-the-less ! lol. As bad as this is going to sound, I actually like the look of the car better with the roof up.

I always liked a roof for my hotrods back in the day but ill tell ya, a top down MOPAR to ride in is something now to me, and a GTX! HHe haw buddy, get out of my way!

I'm a roof line guy...love chop top with sill @ my shoulders....speaking of chops, the flamed oval windo in the pics on ego, it's in Nor-Cal and is coming back down to So-Call this fall.,...lot o f rennovating to do but this will be a gas....that is one nasty little actor Guys...it doesn't just sit and look bad, it is baaadd to da bone bad....12 second car with the webered 2150, but the issue is the road and i could trounce 930's...major egg on their faces....ROFLMFAO J

I agree. Car was "nice" before. Now it is breath-taking!

It certainly is! Give us the word on how it did at the Show you were planning to attend. I'm sure it took top honors!

Hi Dave,

Thanks for asking ! The GTX took its First Junior which is the first step in the Antique Automobile Club of America best awards you can get. Each has its own progression. The first award you can get is a First Junior National award. After that, you compete for a Senior National award. Then you go for something called a First Junior Grand National award which they only have one Grand National show each year. The National meets they hold multiple times and locations all over the United States. After you get your First Junior Grand National, you can go for the Senior Grand National which you are allowed only a total of a 5 point deduction and you can still get a Senior Grand National award.

Here are some pics from the show.

IMG_1687.jpgIMG_1688.jpgIMG_1689.jpgIMG_1690.jpgIMG_1692.jpgIMG_1694.jpgIMG_1796.jpgIMG_1809.jpg

The second to last picture is my favorite (even over the airplane picture) :headbang:

Since I am in the progress of finishing the restoration of my Road Runner, I recognize how hard it is to get a car to this level (and I am not trying to say my car is at this level, either!).

Truly a beautiful car with a great color combination.

Since I am sure you are bored, get your butt over to my house and help me finish mine!! (smile)

Congratulations on the award, it's well deserved.
That was a great car to begin with and you did a fantastic job freshening it up, I bet your dad is one happy camper.

Thank you everyone ! It is truly a labor of love and I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. I am very lucky and blessed to have a great relationship not only with my Dad but Mom as well.

As much as I would love to do others peoples cars from on here, I am tied up in helping some close friends out with their cars now. I just got done recovering a set of bucket seats for my buddies 69 sunroof charger (SE) car and am now restoring a driveshaft for my other buddies A12 car.

Once that is done my wife has been after me to clean up the garage and the basement as she wants to sell our house to get a bigger one. My only demands are a larger garage that I can put a lift in. :smile:

Wow, you did one hell of a job on that! If the picture quality wasn't so good I'd swear I was looking at a brand new car on the car lot from the 60s. Congrats

Thanks 747 ! This has been the best car I have had the chance to work on. To say that the car is nice to start with was an understatement. We were VERY lucky to find such an unmolested original car that had minimal stuff done to it. Other cars that I have done like my 69 Charger, my Mom's 70 Challenger vert, my Dad's old 70 el Camino SS396 (that we traded away for this car!), and our first antique car, a 71 Buick Skylark GS convert with bucket seats (which we found out after we sold it was super rare) have not been as original and untouched like this GTX. Granted, others take the time to do work but a lot of the time, you have to go back and correct other peoples mistakes or whatever. The GTX really had none of that aside from air shocks in the rear and some other minor, bolt on, stuff.

I recently bought a 1969 Satellite Sport Hardtop. It has a Black Vinyl Top over the same color Gold as yours. I can't thank you enough for posting all of the photos that you have. Your GTX is amazing. I hope to post photos of mine here on the board, as soon as I can figure out exactly how to do so.
Keep up the great job that you are doing with returning your GTX to it's Original Factory condition.

Hi Mutt,

Thank you for your compliment ! Yes, the car is an absolutely stunning color combo. As far as the restoration is concerned, well, I'm pretty sure we are all done with it unless I go back over it while I am cleaning stuff and find something that I can make a little better. Besides the big shows that Dad is planning on attending, I don't think the car will be driven that much this year. Once he gets all the big awards he is after, then he will probably really enjoy the car with putting miles on it. To which, I will get some more enjoyment out of cleaning and detailing it. I find it very theraputic working on and cleaning these classic works of art. Call me crazy but I'd rather be driving them and then cleaning them up than doing anything else.

Auto Transport Service
Back