• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bringing it back to factory specs

Just came back yesterday from taking the GTX vert out to the Hershey AACA National fall meet. Since we achieved our First Junior National award down in Virginia Beach in May, we were going for our Senior National award. To say the judges were impressed I think was an understatement. We were the first car to be judged and when the team of 5 judges (4 judges and one team captain) were done, they gathered in front of the car and I heard one of them say that "this was the best factory restored car I've seen all summer". Again, I can not confirm that it was about our car but since we were the first to be judged, I can only assume it was pertaining to our car. Later in the day, we had another national judge come up and check out the car just for his own pleasure. He was also very impressed with the car and couldn't believe how nice the textured paint was on the hood. I told him that it took me about 5 angles of shooting the gun at to finally hide the "tiger stripes". He was also very impressed that I used the SEM trim black and not organisol paint and achieved the same results. The funny thing is he wanted to know where my shop was and when I told him that I just do it for fun, he thought I was joking. He thought I did this as a full time job which made me feel even better about the work that I had done.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the award and my father accepting the award.

One thing I just found out is that the 69 roadrunner headlight bezels are different than the GTX bezels with the roadrunner bezels having a flat flange that goes in towards the grille. Here is a side by side comparison between the two. The reproduction road runner bezel is on the far right.

IMG_2917.JPG

what I did find is if you take your time, you can carefully trim down the flat aluminum section that would be on a roadrunner with a Dremel cut off tool, and have it fit a GTX.

Two of the above in the pic are repro's. The one on the far right is obviously a repro. One of the other two is a cut down repro that now will fit a GTX.

Just came back yesterday from taking the GTX vert out to the Hershey AACA National fall meet. Since we achieved our First Junior National award down in Virginia Beach in May, we were going for our Senior National award. To say the judges were impressed I think was an understatement. We were the first car to be judged and when the team of 5 judges (4 judges and one team captain) were done, they gathered in front of the car and I heard one of them say that "this was the best factory restored car I've seen all summer". Again, I can not confirm that it was about our car but since we were the first to be judged, I can only assume it was pertaining to our car. Later in the day, we had another national judge come up and check out the car just for his own pleasure. He was also very impressed with the car and couldn't believe how nice the textured paint was on the hood. I told him that it took me about 5 angles of shooting the gun at to finally hide the "tiger stripes". He was also very impressed that I used the SEM trim black and not organisol paint and achieved the same results. The funny thing is he wanted to know where my shop was and when I told him that I just do it for fun, he thought I was joking. He thought I did this as a full time job which made me feel even better about the work that I had done.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the award and my father accepting the award.

Congrats. Great story and great pic of your proud father !

Auto Transport Service
Back