• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broke my 7UP Pop Machine today....

You sure are moving along quickly, nice work my friend.....
I'm just making sure I have everything done that needs to go back on the car at the paint shop, so they can't blame me for holding anything up. Now if my nose decal would show up from PCG, or more so the scrap piece Mike is sending me I'd have everything we need so they can paint the headlight pods and around the headlight holes in Black to match.

I need this car done before we head North to open Camp and seeing they've closed the ice road as of today to the First Nations island.... that day is coming sooner than I'd like.

Door glass rear guide channel rubber/felt. Note the indent in one side and not the other. Pay attention to this before you cut out the hole for the plastic anti-rattle wedge.
superbirdfullpaint5 072.jpg

The indent in the rubber/felt matches the detent on the metal guide channel.
superbirdfullpaint5 075.jpg

Rubber / felt into place, holes back drilled and new tubular rivets installed.
superbirdfullpaint5 078.jpg

Tubular rivets set with special rivet tool.
superbirdfullpaint5 080.jpg

The rivet head was backed up with a setting head from my rivet gun clamped into a vice..
superbirdfullpaint5 082.jpg

Here's where I got the tool 5+ years ago when putting the Ramcharger air box back together on my Super Bee's hood.
superbirdfullpaint5 084.jpg

Passenger door glass up next. Regulator lift bracket cleaned up, rear glass edge cleaned out of old gunk ready to reinstall and then new mylar slider on the front edge of the glass, that holds it into the vent frame.
superbirdfullpaint5 086.jpg

National Moparts part #'s for the glass rivet and the piece of insulating "cardboard".
superbirdfullpaint5 088.jpg

Glass lift bracket in place and plastic rivet popped through it and the glass, ready to set the locking pin /mandrel in place. Note that this is the outer side of the door glass.
superbirdfullpaint5 090.jpg

Rivet pin in it's final locking position.
superbirdfullpaint5 091.jpg

Rear trim edge set into place on the glass and a couple piece of tape to show full insertion depth. Tape is 0.060 thick, so when finished the trim will sit back from the tape approximately that amount.
superbirdfullpaint5 095.jpg

Tape cut to length and layed out centered on the glass edge.
superbirdfullpaint5 099.jpg

Stainless trim set into place and then persuaded into position with the rubber mallet.
superbirdfullpaint5 100.jpg

Excess setting tape cut off with an exacto knife.
superbirdfullpaint5 104.jpg

Next up replacing the 53 year old mylar with a new reproduction. Fortunately both of the original plastic H pins are good for this side, so one less hurdle. They still never fit worth a ****.
superbirdfullpaint5 106.jpg

New mylar trimmed to match the old at the top end.
superbirdfullpaint5 108.jpg

Mylar shoved tight onto the glass to get centerline for the new H pin holes.
superbirdfullpaint5 109.jpg

Paper punch works like a dream, has just enough depth to get into position on the top. The bottom hole you have to open up the mylar folds and go at it from the side.
superbirdfullpaint5 110.jpg

Bottom hole punched as a small slot to allow for thermal expansion and then the H pin put into place.
superbirdfullpaint5 112.jpg

Nice and smooth operation after the 5th reinstall. I've found it takes at least 3 re and re's using glass cleaning spray as a lube and after each re/re then cleaning all the fluff out of the channel and off the mylar that rubs off the reproduction junk, that inturn jams things up. Final install I then soak the vent frame channel with silicon spray and then slide the glass back in and work it full up and down. If you can't slide it back and forth easily in your hand the window crank is never gonna do it!
superbirdfullpaint5 116.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely phenomenal job Wayne! I'm sorry what happed that got you here but you're doing the old bird proud.

The documentation that you're doing as well should make this thread a sticky for future reference. Heck you might even want to publish it someday.

Last edited:
Makes you wonder how they put all that in (without scratching the paint) and properly adjust it. Even more so with the complicated rear window mechanism and tracks.

my niche is reconstructing junk into a painted roller....... I will have the patience for all this crap ONE time, that will be on my own car; Wayne has the gift

correction...... 3 times; but 2 of them were in my younger years.......way too time consuming

Last edited:
I have this pair of seals fitting the nose pretty darn good, so instead of trying to get a new pair fitting as well, some Scrubbing Bubbles to clean them up and hopefully reuse.
superbirdfullpaint5 133.jpg

Nice and Black again, just need to roll the old contact cement off the hidden heavy section.
superbirdfullpaint5 141.jpg

Tail light lenses just need a quick clean as they were new in 2019.
superbirdfullpaint5 144.jpg

Ready to go back on the car.
superbirdfullpaint5 149.jpg

Mouse piss blood trail across the tail lights and on the side marker retainers. I'd tried to clean it with acetone and lacquer thinner the other day, neither touched it.
superbirdfullpaint5 147.jpg

Trail on top of the marker retainer.
superbirdfullpaint5 155.jpg

Nothing to lose by trying this light weight Easy- Off I bought the other day. Spray on, wait a few minutes and wipe.
superbirdfullpaint5 158.jpg

Amazing.
superbirdfullpaint5 160.jpg

Headlight buckets washed out, older narrow flute lamps cleaned of some overspray and grunge and the retainer rings polished with Rouge compound.
superbirdfullpaint5 169.jpg

Ready to go back into the headlight pods once Body By Biggs has them painted for me.
superbirdfullpaint5 171.jpg

Trunk lid road runner and tail panel PLYMOUTH letters. Time to clean them up and repaint the Black.
superbirdfullpaint5 173.jpg

I have two spare sets of PLYMOUTH letters so that I can pick the best of each letter and hopefully have a full set without any pitting on them.
superbirdfullpaint5 179.jpg

You do know about the syringe technique for paint the recessed areas of the letters right?

45 minutes a letter. Old paint removed with an exacto knife blade tip, polished, cleaned again and repainted. Found that letting the paint drain off a toothpic works the best. Dip, place, drain and watch the paint flow and fill.
20230411_161633.jpg
20230411_144241.jpg
20230411_144549.jpg
20230411_162650.jpg

Looking great Wayne! I have seen a lot of people using the oven cleaner & this proves how great it is. I've heard its the same thing they use to clean engine blocks.

I'm stealing your scrubbing bubbles idea to clean my hoses as well.

It's much the same as Wayne is doing with the toothpick except your using a syringe. Suck up some paint into the syringe, squirt a drop into the recessed part of the letter and it will flow into the remainder of the recess, if needed you can use the syringe needle to move paint into any areas that it didn't flow into. Hopefully, that makes sense.

Kidding aside, a fiberglass supply shop usually has syringes with needles cheaply in bulk, they're useful for sucking air bubbles out of glass layups. I have a whole bag full of them.

I learned this trick when a buddy & I toured Trim Parts.. There was about a dozen people filling emblems with syringes...

FWIW when I first tried the syringe method I used a 16ga needle, the paint barely moved through the needle... Then I got some with 23 ga needles... To big but it works and it's much better than the 16ga needle..... Last time I got some 21ga needles... they work very well...

You can drip the paint into the emblem or you can dip the needle and push paint toward the corners then fill the middle... The emblem should be leveled so the paint doesn't shift to one side...

Auto Transport Service
Back