• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bucket seat leans too much

dart6

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:17 AM
Reaction score
This is a 70RR with new seat covers by previous owner. The passenger side is fine.
I've pulled the seat out and found nothing, is there some sort of tensioner within the seat.
I've read every post in the interior forum and there is nothing for this 002.jpg

Looks like either a bent or broken seat back frame, most likely where it connects to the curved part that bolts to the bottom of the seat. Should be easy to check by removing the seat back panel and inspect the frame. I am not as familiar with 70 seat backs, and cant tell in photo if the curved part of the cover is attached to the seat back like they are in later years, but it should have better alignment with the seat back. Also, there is a spring stop I know in later seats that supports the seatback frame against the seat frame, check both and see if they are identical, should be able to see it when the seatbacks are forward for access into the back seat.

I had this problem with a 73 Roadrunner in the early 80s. The fix was a length of 2x4 between the seat back and the top of the back seat. ;)

Very common on all bucket seat equipped Mopars from the era. Normally for us guys that are not so light weight. I have seen 2x4's, beer coolers, tool boxes and many other "fixes". Like said earlier, remove the seat back and strip the upholstery off. It is time to do some repair and reinforcement of the seat back frame. If you do this, take some pictures. A lot of people will be interested in your fix.

Auto Transport Service
Back