• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bulkhead Connector

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:39 PM
Reaction score
What these three connectors called or referred to? I suppose it would be called what the name of the harness is and that’s what I am asking.

Thanks!

IMG_0021.jpeg

Do you mean wiper, main engine, and headlight harness?

Bulkhead plug?
That is what I call these:

Bulkhead 6.JPG

All three? Lol
They are all suspect to deteriorate. It was the most efficient way to build the cars on a production line. But putting full alternator amperage when needed through those spade connectors is asking for trouble. The engineers knew that, and had direct through connections to the amp gauge with a grommet on the “K” police cars.

Yeah the 50 year old wires and connectors don’t age well. I have been replacing and restoring where I can the wires and connectors. Also I am doing some basic minor modifications to the system see my schematic below.

IMG_0022.jpeg

Last edited:
No, it works fine when the terminals are clean and not overloaded.
These aren't electric cars....they are not randomly catching fire. The only instances I've heard of of fires is from neglected and overloaded wiring.
In most cases, you don't need more than a high output 65 amp alternator.
Sure. EFI conversions add more demand from the electrical system but otherwise, a stock wire harness in good condition works quite well.

I wish I had a buck for every connector I have seen that was melted like yours in the pic above Kern.
Too loose of a connection in my opinion. A rumbling Mopar fire breather generates a lot of vibration.

I agree. Poor connections and corrosion do lead to trouble.
The dash side harness in my red car is mostly original. I added aftermarket gauges with their own lead wires but otherwise, the plugs are original.
The engine side is a reproduction harness. The old one was still working but a buddy tried to help me "upgrade" the wiring 10 years ago and it didn't work out so good...
Still, the stock design isn't fancy but it works for most applications.
When dudes add twin electric fans, EFI, powerful stereos and such, you are now taxing the system beyond it's design limits.

Heartache, fire and a source of roadside grief is my experience.

The Mopar OE bulkhead connectors utilize 0.25" tab male & female connectors...
@ best they can only handle up to 25 amps, so if one has installed high current draw accessories such as electric fans, subwoofer amplifier, electric fuel pump, EFI then better go back and upgrade the OE wiring system...

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back