• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bullitt Chase Scene..

If I were to see it in the theater when it was new, (And if I were more than 3 years old at the time) I may have been really impressed.
Before Bullitt, I saw Vanishing Point, Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry, Dukes of Hazzard, Smokey and the Bandit and Knight Rider.
The Bullitt chase scene was probably thrilling for it's time.
Thanks for the link to the article.

lost me right here.
" It's the ultimate car-guy's flick with a cool lead character, lots of attitude, magnificent location, and, of course, hot musclecars in the most realistic, high-speed, fender-banging, gravity-defying chase ever filmed. "

were they watching the same movie ??
its literally a 15 minute chase and the rest of the movie is so boring most cannot even Recall the plot,or Anything but the chase.

meanwhile,Gone in 60 seconds is a 2 Hour chase ( witn mopars ),Vanishing point is the same ( with mopars ),and Dirty Mary and Crazy larry is Ten times better than bullitt.( and has mopars too.)

imo,bullitt is Definitely Not the most exciting chase ever filmed,but hey gotta keep the Hype train rolling........
" The plot was confusing to the point of being incomprehensible, but that mystery kept the audience guessing until the click of Bill Hickman's seatbelt "
Lmao.

Great start with seat belt and the Charger burning out. Kern, have you seen it in a theater? It was stomach churning looking out the front windshield as the cars flew through the air. In the theater, it feels like you are in the cars and doing the brain float. Though in the end, I found it "fakey" (sixties slang) as the Charger had would have covered a lot of distance while the Mustang was stopped, yet the Mustang caught up instantly.

That scene is what has had me have at least one Charger or more since I was 15. 39+ years now. D.M.& C.L then D.O.H. helped push the infatuation even further.

Before this devolves into yet another (boring) debate on what movie chase scene was better or worse
than the next, I'll go ahead and state the obvious here:
The Bullitt chase scene was far and away the most extensive, expensive and longest-screen time chase
up to that point in time - and despite all the flaws, it was obviously something memorable.

Yes, there's been plenty of more spectacular chase scenes since (check out the next film Bill Hickman drove in, for
example) - but nothing up until that point came close to it.
Some of you even remember that they changed the advertising for the film at the time to primarily focusing on
the chase to sell tickets as word of mouth got out about the scene - because yeah, the rest of the film was pretty
much standard detective cop fare for sure.

Ok, commence the usual banter on which ones were better/the best....
But the overall film known for a car chase (heck, the film best known for a car period) for me was Vanishing Point.
Still is.

Been there. San Fransisco is a neat city ruined by bad politicians. Those hills are no joke.
20221026_111752.jpg
20221026_111953.jpg
20221026_111940.jpg
20221026_111713.jpg

We lived in Daly City at the time. One day, at the bottom of our steep street at the base of San Bruno Mountain, Hollywood arrived. Steve McQueen and his Mustang and this dragster-looking vehicle adjacent to it with a bunch of cameras on board. They were filming a segment of the famous chase scene. The two cars took off--I don't recall seeing any Dodge Charger yet--and they headed east up Guadalupe Parkway into the San Bruno Mountains at high speed. Both vehicles were side by side, the cameras on the drag car pointed at McQueen behind the wheel. Some of the best parts of the chase in that movie were filmed here. It wasn't even San Francisco. On the other side of the mountain the Charger crashed. I didn't get to see that. But I'll never forget that drag car with camera gear and the Mustang and Steven McQueen and all the excitement. I was eight years old.

Last edited:
lost me right here.
" It's the ultimate car-guy's flick with a cool lead character, lots of attitude, magnificent location, and, of course, hot musclecars in the most realistic, high-speed, fender-banging, gravity-defying chase ever filmed. "

were they watching the same movie ??
its literally a 15 minute chase and the rest of the movie is so boring most cannot even Recall the plot,or Anything but the chase.

meanwhile,Gone in 60 seconds is a 2 Hour chase ( witn mopars ),Vanishing point is the same ( with mopars ),and Dirty Mary and Crazy larry is Ten times better than bullitt.( and has mopars too.)

imo,bullitt is Definitely Not the most exciting chase ever filmed,but hey gotta keep the Hype train rolling........
" The plot was confusing to the point of being incomprehensible, but that mystery kept the audience guessing until the click of Bill Hickman's seatbelt "
Lmao.
Bullit was the first chase scene of it's kind.

It started a trend. Without Bullit you would not have seen anything like it for 30 years IMHO.

And many movies of the era didn't feature pointless vulgar dialogue, meaningless sex scenes or unbelievable violence. The film industry was just a few years removed from The Legion of Decency and the industries own censors.

It was a different world. That movie could not be made ten years earlier....kinda like Blazing Saddles would be impossible today.

Bullitt was revolutionary in the same way as the 1932 Ford V-8, Prohibition in the US and the Fender Telecaster guitar were.

Bullit was the first chase scene of it's kind.

It started a trend. Without Bullit you would not have seen anything like it for 30 years IMHO.

And many movies of the era didn't feature pointless vulgar dialogue, meaningless sex scenes or unbelievable violence. The film industry was just a few years removed from The Legion of Decency and the industries own censors.

It was a different world. That movie could not be made ten years earlier....kinda like Blazing Saddles would be impossible today.

Bullitt was revolutionary in the same way as the 1932 Ford V-8, Prohibition in the US and the Fender Telecaster guitar were.
bullitt was the first Up close extensive Camera angles and shots.
Thats what made us all leap in our seats.

not the first chase flick...they were making everything from decent to cheesy car chase movies way before bullitt came along.
started a trend umm no.

i do find it interesting that you mention movies that couldnt be made then or today.
it makes me wonder if you know who H.B.Halicki was...and what he accomplished...and who he got to appear and Help with the films...
i wont get into a breakdown,but suffice it to say if you watch the first one,youll see some of the biggest names in politicians,stars,Racing drivers and many many more.
all the stunts were Actual stunts and there was public citizens ( not Extras !! ) going about their lives while all this was being filmed......which is why i think it could never be done again in the way it was.
also,sadly,we lost H.B. right here in ny during his taping of the sequel to gone in 60 seconds....
sorry if i rambled there a bit,i actually was lucky enough to meet some of his crew/afterwards.

One of the bigger bosses here at work knew Steve McQueen personally and was on location with him during the filming of Bullitt. He was there, hung out, partied with and saw all the behind the scenes action. He has all the cool stories.

He is 84 and still comes in 8+ hours every day.

Last edited:
If I were to see it in the theater when it was new, (And if I were more than 3 years old at the time) I may have been really impressed.
Before Bullitt, I saw Vanishing Point, Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry, Dukes of Hazzard, Smokey and the Bandit and Knight Rider.
Agree.
I've owned my share of
Mustangs. My favorite
being a '66 GT350.
Mustangs almost always
presented a "bigger bang
for the buck" than Mopars
of that era.
But I thought at the time the
movie came out, that the
Charger presented a much
better portrayal of what true
American muscle was all
about.

What ...no THE 7UPS ?

Auto Transport Service
Back