• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bummer! No oil Pressure

Tell me more about cracking the oil filter. I too am having same problem. This is not a rebuild issue. Engine was running fine since car purchase 2 years ago. Would occasionally see oil dash light stay lit after start up but would go away. But now oil light stays lit. Put mechanical oil gauge on and see no oil pressure. Replaced oil pump with Rockauto Mellings oil pump. Checked that distributor drive was spinning before installing oil pump, which I could feel drive engaging oil pump when installing. But I did not prime oil pump. Still getting no oil pressure on mechanical gage or at dash light with new oil sending unit.
Does cracking the oil filter a 1/2 turn or more free up any air lock?

Tell me more about cracking the oil filter. I too am having same problem. This is not a rebuild issue. Engine was running fine since car purchase 2 years ago. Would occasionally see oil dash light stay lit after start up but would go away. But now oil light stays lit. Put mechanical oil gauge on and see no oil pressure. Replaced oil pump with Rockauto Mellings oil pump. Checked that distributor drive was spinning before installing oil pump, which I could feel drive engaging oil pump when installing. But I did not prime oil pump. Still getting no oil pressure on mechanical gage or at dash light with new oil sending unit.
Also should have mentioned no Fram filter, Wix.

open it just enough to get oil squirting out while idling or with someone cranking starter as it starts then tighten before u get sprayed with oil

Never in my life have I had to fill an oil filter before install or crack one to get oil pressure. GM, Ford or our beloved Mopar and there has been a lot of them!

Never in my life have I had to fill an oil filter before install or crack one to get oil pressure. GM, Ford or our beloved Mopar and there has been a lot of them!
David Freiburger n Steve Dulcich talk about it on roadkill garage....so it is a thing shrug

Did you put oil in the pump some STP Vasline to seal inside clearances?

I agree with Wayne. I have changed a $hitload of filters in my 50+ years of screwing around with cars, and never ran into this problem until this year. I had 3 different Fram filters on my engine during my ordeal. I did a lot of the things suggested here, with no luck. After installing a direct mechanical gauge on the extra port, and switching to Wix filter, boom!, 75 lbs. pressure. I had never put STP in my filter or pump before, and even that did not help this time. Through all this screwing around, the red dash light never went off, making me suspect the original sender switch. After changing to the Wix filter, the dash light worked as it should. When I started to prime with my drill, the light in the dash went off. When I quit priming, the light came back on. My dash light was telling the truth the whole time!

LOL well ain't he lucky !
no sarcasm...also was meant for post above yours...was posting off email ...MANY years ago early 80's had a buddy that scored a 69 Coronet R/T F8 paint that had just been restored. The motor had been rebuilt and would not build pressure it ended up spinning a rod bearing the guy got pissed n kicked a dent in the 1/4 panel where the scallops are n sold it for a song to my friend....he dropped a running B.B in it and drove it then sold it it at a profit

Last edited:
Hello Fran. What is this STP Vaseline in this post? Searched on Google and Stone Temple Pilots comes up.
I THINK he forgot a hyphen...use stp or vaseline to prime lube the pump to basically seal it to create the vacuum needed to suck up the oil from pan n push it thru filter?

Same here. 45 years of doing my own oil changes. The problem I'm having is engine lost oil pressure, changed pump (440) and still no pressure. Reaching out for other ideas what causes pressure loss. I welcome ideas on making install is correct.

Pull off the pump and pack it assembly lube or Vaseline and spin the pump with the hex tool/drill to see if ya get pressure.

Auto Transport Service
Back