• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Burned out (NOT burn out) Superbird at IAAI (For auction, not mine)

Seems to be a lot of ins, outs and what-have-yous about getting this converted to a salvage title, I wouldn't go there.
And some insurance companies refuse to back off from their "Certificate of Destruction" decision. You can petition them for a change to a salvage title, but why take the risk?

Anyone remember the burnt up Superbird someone bought and got running and pictures were posted online of it driving through a car show?
I saved a few of the pictures but it would take me some time to dig them up.
I want to say it was around 10 years ago. Story I remember was there were 2 eccentric brothers, might have been in Missouri, who had a car collection stored in their barn. Sadly the barn burned and supposedly they had no insurance on the cars.
Then months later pictures appeared of the burnt up Superbird at a car show all scorched and rusty, being driven by the guys who bought it from the brothers.
This one in the thread actually appears to be a little better shape.
I remember seeing some pics of that car in a field in a burnt out pile.

And some insurance companies refuse to back off from their "Certificate of Destruction" decision. You can petition them for a change to a salvage title, but why take the risk?
Sounds like a good case for EXPORT to somewhere other than Canada to get the title cleared.

Maybe a NZ or Australia import, and rebuild with a new VIN.

Sounds like a good case for EXPORT to somewhere other than Canada to get the title cleared.

Maybe a NZ or Australia import, and rebuild with a new VIN.
I wouldn't be surprised if it goes to Europe or the Middle East.

Certificate of Destruction is all anyone needs to know.
that must be 'a salvage title' maybe what they call it in that state of La.

probably paid off by the insurance company too, I'd hope so
it was totaled for damn sure

that must be 'a salvage title' maybe what they call it in that state of La.

probably paid off by the insurance company too, I'd hope so
it was totaled for damn sure
No, altogether different critters; even in Louisiana...salvage or rebuilt titles are different than certificate of destruction.

No, altogether different critters; even in Louisiana...salvage or rebuilt titles are different than certificate of destruction.
If you don't mind, can you explain the difference ?
if you can do it easily, if not no biggy

I've had cars that were totaled & taken out of service here
& I've never seen that term...

If you don't mind, can you explain the difference ?
if you can do it easily, if not no biggy

I've had cars that were totaled & taken out of service here
& I've never seen that term...
A Certificate of Destruction car can never be put on the road again for any reason. It will be sold to a dismantling company. R.I.P. A buyer could petition to rescind the Certificate of Destruction, but don't waste your time.

Issuance of a salvage or rebuilt title means it can be placed back on the road after being repaired and rebuilt to the satisfaction of the state that will register it. For various states, like Georgia, that means a state representative inspects the car BEFORE needed/required repairs are performed. Subsequently, the owner needs to take pictures of repairs and have copies of receipts of all parts used during rebuilding/repairing. In some cases, the state representative may need to come out multiple times during the rebuilding/repairing. There are few state representatives available and each visitation has to be scheduled well in advance. Sometimes, they don't show up at the appointed day/time. Reschedule! Eventually, a state representative comes back and gives his blessing the car is properly rebuilt/repaired if he like everything. He signs off whatever paperwork and then you take it to the county to get a salvage/rebuilt title and register it. This is a pain of course and has given rise to a lot of "title washing" to lose the status of rebuilt/salvage title.

However, who knows what will happen if someone overseas snaps up the Superbird.

One reason I post the VIN in FBBO threads...for posterity...
Sad stories (lol):
1) DeltaV iaai bidder on '77 Porsche Turbo Carrera. Lose! Severely outgunned by two major players in Texas and Florida. They wanted it really, really bad. Dang, I found this car on my drive home from work. This car was well worth the hassle of a Georgia rebuilt title.

2) DeltaV iaai prospective bidder on 1988 Porsche 928 S4 in Florida. This car should have been sold, and deserved to be sold, as a salvage title car. Unfortunately, Progressive Insurance decided at the last moment to auction it with a Certificate of Destruction title. Progressive would not relent. They just wanted to move on and so I did too, begrudgingly. Car was titled and insured in New Jersey, but the owner was in Florida. Very minor water damage.
just-walk-away (1).jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if it goes to Europe
Thankfully it's not a hemi car with a 4 speed & numerically low gear ratio. :D (Autobahn)

But this is above my financial abilities anyway.

I think this should be bought and restored by someone in the US (to save shipping and tax for parts) and then maybe shipped around the globe to wash the title.

I would not think about buying this if was not able to restore it myself.

A Certificate of Destruction car can never be put on the road again for any reason. It will be sold to a dismantling company. R.I.P. A buyer could petition to rescind the Certificate of Destruction, but don't waste your time.

Issuance of a salvage or rebuilt title means it can be placed back on the road after being repaired and rebuilt to the satisfaction of the state that will register it. For various states, like Georgia, that means a state representative inspects the car BEFORE needed/required repairs are performed. Subsequently, the owner needs to take pictures of repairs and have copies of receipts of all parts used during rebuilding/repairing. In some cases, the state representative may need to come out multiple times during the rebuilding/repairing. There are few state representatives available and each visitation has to be scheduled well in advance. Sometimes, they don't show up at the appointed day/time. Reschedule! Eventually, a state representative comes back and gives his blessing the car is properly rebuilt/repaired if he like everything. He signs off whatever paperwork and then you take it to the county to get a salvage/rebuilt title and register it. This is a pain of course and has given rise to a lot of "title washing" to lose the status of rebuilt/salvage title.

However, who knows what will happen if someone overseas snaps up the Superbird.

One reason I post the VIN in FBBO threads...for posterity...
Sad stories (lol):
1) DeltaV iaai bidder on '77 Porsche Turbo Carrera. Lose! Severely outgunned by two major players in Texas and Florida. They wanted it really, really bad. Dang, I found this car on my drive home from work. This car was well worth the hassle of a Georgia rebuilt title.

2) DeltaV iaai prospective bidder on 1988 Porsche 928 S4 in Florida. This car should have been sold, and deserved to be sold, as a salvage title car. Unfortunately, Progressive Insurance decided at the last moment to auction it with a Certificate of Destruction title. Progressive would not relent. They just wanted to move on and so I did too, begrudgingly. Car was titled and insured in New Jersey, but the owner was in Florida. Very minor water damage.
View attachment 1642853
:luvplace: learn something new here almost everyday

:thankyou: for the detailed explanation, never knew that

sad deal on them 2 Porsches

well, after all of that.......

so what is a restored, previously burned up, SB with no VIN tag worth?...... I'm guessing the sum of the usable parts

I mean, yeah, it can be fixed........ but it will always be that "burned up one"; with some sort of state issued VIN tag

no one has an answer?

well, after all of that.......

no one has an answer?
I'd guess if done well, it'll bring $150k+
or maybe like 20%-25% less than an equal SB, fair market at the time
that wasn't burned to crap & was restored with a bunch of repop'd panels/parts :blah:
especially in a auction setting like Mecum, conn-promo the crap out of it, like the Ghost

I'm guessing wild *** guess, it will sell, for a min. of $100k as is
people with money, throwing it at it

not the best example below, but;
It was ruined, surprised it wasn't a certificate of destruction too
(thank @DeltaV )
That car on Graveyard Cars that was burned to ****, a couple season back
guy out of Wash. State IIRC
had 70 Hemi 'cuda convertible 4 speed (?) dana-60 car,
burned up in a garage fire/water-heater pilot
light started an explosion of gasoline vapors, it was a total mess
that almost killed the dude too, almost burned the dudes house down too
he dove under the back of the car it saved his life (allegedly)
They replace almost every panel on it except the floors & firewall
& some interior body structure IIRC
It was reassessed for insurance value, at like $1.5- $2 million USD "allegedly"
it is ICETRAY Worman that said it though...
All the rage at SEMA too

I doubt that SB car would be anything near that $$$

It seems 'nobody seems to care about originality anymore'
or less than they before (I'm a day 2 guy myself, I prefer a resto-mod)
everything has a shitload of panel replacements & nobody bats an eye at that stuff
helps to keep the body & paint guys/metal guys working,
companies like AMD REPOPS, must be making a mint...

They are only original once, no matter what
once you replace 1/2 or more of the body panels, new paint
or a bunch of patch work all over it
or repop'd interior or dash/gauges, engine & drivetrain etc.
it's no-longer original either :blah:

I'd make a resto-mod out of it & I don't care what people thought
if it was mine

Last edited:
I'd make a resto-mod out of it & I don't care what people thought
if it was mine
Agreed.
Another option if you can get it registered in your particular state would be a "Jigsaw" type car. If you can do the work yourself, spend $10k getting it on the road and just drive it.
A lot of folks want to to do a full rotisserie restoration on every car and then worry about cost vs future value but:
If you could complete this car for say $50k total ($35k + $15k on interior, tires etc) there's no way you'd be at risk of losing money. You'd have a real deal Superbird for (relative) peanuts.

I would think the fire, and more so, the scrutiny that goes along with cars of that pedigree would make it very undesirable........ what collector would want "the burned up one"?

Just register the car in a state that does not require titles and get a clean registration,with that you can get a title in another state if necessary. No one is going to destruct that car.we will see it back on the auction block with shiny new paint soon enough.

Auto Transport Service
Back