• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Burned out (NOT burn out) Superbird at IAAI (For auction, not mine)

It’s really a shame if not a crime that the car’s owner didn’t hang on to the car after the fire, collect his insurance money, but keep possession of it for likely a small cost.
Then he could have sold it and the title would be unblemished going forward after it gets restored.
I’m thinking restoring this car, even though a ground up project, is not going to be as much work as restoring the “hurricane Superbird” that Magnum Restorations is currently doing.

Paint it burnt orange or go with the original color?
:lol:

For posterity:

VIN: RM23U0A175649

All 10 pics from iaai website:

resizer.jpeg
resizer (1).jpeg
resizer (2).jpeg
resizer (13).jpeg
resizer (14).jpeg
resizer (15).jpeg
resizer (16).jpeg
resizer (17).jpeg
resizer (18).jpeg
resizer (19).jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m thinking restoring this car,

Bidding by the public is not permitted on this car.

You'll need to work through an auto broker or a dealer that has an active membership with iaai so you can bid on the car. See all the details/requirements on their website, as well as fees, fees, and more fees.

Screenshot_20240407-154716~3.png

Good luck to you if you decide to go after this car.
:thumbsup:

I've got enough spare parts here I could have that back on the road by the end of the month...

I double dog dare ya....... :popcorn2:

wait, didn't it take over a month just for a cut/buff? :poke:
LOL... I got all my stuff out of there and will never be another paint job for me out of George's shop.

That thing doesn't look that bad. Bit of hood work, a new vinyl roof and a BIT of interior... lol 90% of the paint looks good!

Bidding by the public is not permitted on this car.

You'll need to work through an auto broker or a dealer that has an active membership with iaai so you can bid on the car. See all the details/requirements on their website, as well as fees, fees, and more fees.

View attachment 1642620

Good luck to you if you decide to go after this car.
:thumbsup:
I don’t even particularly like wing cars so no worries there!
I said I’m thinking, as in estimating in my head what is in store for someone to restore it, not I’m thinking of buying it myself!

A month?
As long as the engine & trans is good, a few wires, some gas, maybe an afternoon. Drive it to Eldubb440s place, cash in the 401k, 17 1/2 months later (after the divorce is final) you've got the documented Superfirebird.

A month?
As long as the engine & trans is good, a few wires, some gas, maybe an afternoon. Drive it to Eldubb440s place, cash in the 401k, 17 1/2 months later (after the divorce is final) you've got the documented Superfirebird.
A small price to pay for a real Superbird!

Anyone remember the burnt up Superbird someone bought and got running and pictures were posted online of it driving through a car show?
I saved a few of the pictures but it would take me some time to dig them up.
I want to say it was around 10 years ago. Story I remember was there were 2 eccentric brothers, might have been in Missouri, who had a car collection stored in their barn. Sadly the barn burned and supposedly they had no insurance on the cars.
Then months later pictures appeared of the burnt up Superbird at a car show all scorched and rusty, being driven by the guys who bought it from the brothers.
This one in the thread actually appears to be a little better shape.

The only reason it says “no vin” is because the actual vin tag melted in the fire…It has a vin just no vin tag.

The only reason it says “no vin” is because the actual vin tag melted in the fire…It has a vin just no vin tag.
Can't licensed body shops order repop vin tags from ECS? The problem here seems more to be the fact that the title is a CoD. Seems to be a lot of ins, outs and what-have-yous about getting this converted to a salvage title, I wouldn't go there.

Can't licensed body shops order repop vin tags from ECS? The problem here seems more to be the fact that the title is a CoD. Seems to be a lot of ins, outs and what-have-yous about getting this converted to a salvage title, I wouldn't go there.
I believe they do BUT no way around the title BS…. at the end of the day it’s still a real SB.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back