• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

caltrac...67 R/T

terzmo

Local time
12:36 AM
Reaction score
anyone install caltrac on a 67 coronet ? Was it all just bolt in to the existing mounts?? Looking to do springs/traction bars/shocks.

Thanks in advance to all

How fast is your car going to be? CT's are pretty expensive....

I understand...about 900 for the system but I have been saving/working again after retiring from the military and want this for the car. Currently has a mild 440 but plans are for a stroked 440/512 or if My ship comes in, a hemi. Both will be on pump gas and rated around 600hp. I have a deal pending on the 512...currently in My friends drag/duster and runs 10:20's on pump gas(qtr) With a milder cam...I'll be happy with mid 11's

Dang, lotsa original Hemi S/S cars ran 10s back in the day with leaf springs. But I can understand you want what you want. That setup you're lookin at is supposed to be real good. When you get it all, how bout doin an install thread? I would like to see it.

My experiences with CT's is if you have a lot of power and are kinda nose heavy, you'll have a tougher time getting them setup right. A buddy installed them on a low 9 second Challenger that was right aroud 52/48 weight bias and he chased his butt and never did get the car to run consistent numbers at the track. We ended up putting ladder bars on it and that did the trick right out of the box. He had the complete package with the CT's too and even got a lot of help from John personally in trying to get them to work right with his combo.

Hey.... I put the full Cal Tracs on my 67 Coronet last year, running a 528 Hemi, in street clothes, still working on setting the car up , but so far I think they work good. I have the car running 11.50 and seems to run consistant . Good Luck with yours. 081012 010.jpg

1) SS springs make your car ride like a 3/4 ton truck. Anyone with DIRECT EXPERIENCE would know this.

2) Calvert's system is an easy way to get that sixty way down and knock off some E/T. I have seen them used with great success with stick 318 or 383 springs and some decent shocks.

3) Go for it, they are easy to install and the mono springs ride nice on the street.

- - - Updated - - -

My experiences with CT's is if you have a lot of power and are kinda nose heavy, you'll have a tougher time getting them setup right. A buddy installed them on a low 9 second Challenger that was right aroud 52/48 weight bias and he chased his butt and never did get the car to run consistent numbers at the track. We ended up putting ladder bars on it and that did the trick right out of the box. He had the complete package with the CT's too and even got a lot of help from John personally in trying to get them to work right with his combo.

What shocks was he running Cranky? Do you happen to remember the measurement on the front upward suspension travel?

Hey.... I put the full Cal Tracs on my 67 Coronet last year, running a 528 Hemi, in street clothes, still working on setting the car up , but so far I think they work good. I have the car running 11.50 and seems to run consistant . Good Luck with yours.View attachment 104157

well back to an original question...was it all bolt in out of the box ?

I have a 66 Coronet. Car is minitubbed and springs are moved in. I went with Calvert's whole setup. Bars, monoleaf springs original ride height and 9 way adjustable shocks. Parts were extremely easy to install and took about an afternoon. Yes, right out of the box install, no modification was needed. Left the adjustment in the bottom hole for now and the car was planting the tires hard at the track! I say go for it!

do the springs come with new bushings and u bolts for spring mounts...all needed hardware?? best place for purchase?

i have a set on my dart and plan on putting a set on my dads 70RR. i ordered mine right from calvert. used their spings and shocks also. the thing that nobody ever mentions is you need to beef up your spring perches, if you have a decent powered car you will bend them, i found out the hard way. calvert sells nice perches. took some playing to get my dart to hook, but its nose heavy.

january2010026.jpg

calvert perches
004.jpg

003.jpg

IMG_4430.jpg

Real nice job on the install.I'll have to keep an eye on mine.My Cal's are so old the shocks are only 5 way adjustable:confused4:

Attachments

• 2009-04-25-1548-32.jpg
    2009-04-25-1548-32.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 344
The bars will work with stock springs and by themselves are cheaper than SS springs plus hangers and U bolts. I am looking at using these on my '67 Belvedere. Competition Engineering Slide-A-Links are alternative. They are more "street friendly" and their performance is close to Cal Tracs. Both are direct bolt on.

1) SS springs make your car ride like a 3/4 ton truck. Anyone with DIRECT EXPERIENCE would know this.

2) Calvert's system is an easy way to get that sixty way down and knock off some E/T. I have seen them used with great success with stick 318 or 383 springs and some decent shocks.

3) Go for it, they are easy to install and the mono springs ride nice on the street.

- - - Updated - - -

What shocks was he running Cranky? Do you happen to remember the measurement on the front upward suspension travel?
He was running the shocks that John recommended for his combo and weight and I don't remember what those were or the travel. He sold the shocks and gave me the mono leafs. The car was 3560 without him in it...

- - - Updated - - -

i have a set on my dart and plan on putting a set on my dads 70RR. i ordered mine right from calvert. used their spings and shocks also. the thing that nobody ever mentions is you need to beef up your spring perches, if you have a decent powered car you will bend them, i found out the hard way. calvert sells nice perches. took some playing to get my dart to hook, but its nose heavy.
Yup, we knew about beefing up the spring perches and did it before hand. It's one of of first things we do when running leafs.

- - - Updated - - -

One of the things we had to deal with were that the springs were about an inch too long so James called john to ask if it was ok to just drill a new pilot hole and shorten the split monos ourselves and John said to go for it so I threw em up on the mill and aligned with the original holes and moved the new hole 1".

Are traction bars really needed with a pinion snubber? What are the advantages of Caltracs as opposed to a snubber? Except for the fact that Caltracs look somewhat tuneable...

Auto Transport Service
Back