• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam for a 440 4 speed

Sixpack spec, 1970 engine build we are copying here.
Gonna be in the 10's comp. without a doubt.
Yes, and just like in 1970, it will be 9.7:1.

The math is simple.

What would you recommend? the heads will have big valves port work and a skim, the inlet will be port matched, rods are lightened and end to end balanced, six pack pistons, I'm guessing 10.5:1, It's a 4 speed with no power so not worried about vacuum, probably have the cam installed a couple of degrees advanced maybe going for an FBO ignition so plenty of advance.
I made a recommendation based on experience with the recommended cam and a stock 440.

If those are the TRW six pack pistons, they are HEAVY.

Mark
Yes, very heavy pistons with lightened sixpack rods!

All the info I have says the sixpacks in 1970 were 10.25?

9.75 will be perfect for E5 UK gas methinks... :thumbsup:

ps. we always say ''bleed of any excess compression with a mega cam''...:fool::usflag:

Yep. A lot of misinformation out there. Repeating makes it worse.

Measuring is the solution. Then there is no question. The last thing anyone should do is to take anyone’s word for things like CR.

To the OP- if the actual CR is important to you, make the measurements and do the calculations. If that is not in your skill set, then have the your machinist provide to you the measurements that he made on your short block and heads and post them here and we’ll show you how.

Got to be an 'old skool' 509 Mopar cam for me!
I've used several of the Lunatti VooDoo cams now and think the old cams are still better.
Modern cams are made of chewing gum and fail more times than not.
Just need to find one sitting on a shelf somewhere collecting dust...:bananaweed:
Got to be an 'old skool' 509 Mopar cam for me!
I've used several of the Lunatti VooDoo cams now and think the old cams are still better.
Modern cams are made of chewing gum and fail more times than not.
Just need to find one sitting on a shelf somewhere collecting dust...:bananaweed:
509 purple shaft, not nuts, pleasant thump to it. I’ve run the same old cam in 2-383s and my 440 with no issues whatsoever!!

IMG_0810.png

I went for a comp cam

COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Camshafts 23-223-4​

Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:
0.477 int./0.480 exh.
Advertised Duration:
268 int./280 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees):

That doesn't surprise me at all. There is about 5* difference in the duration @ 050 between the two cams [ going on memory ], with the 528 being bigger. The effective 050 duration of the 528 is about 15* less, so in the engine it will look like 10* less at 050 than the 509. Expect better low & mid range.

Auto Transport Service
Back