• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam for a 440 4 speed

jim500

Local time
8:46 PM
Reaction score
Hi another cam question, what is a suitable hydraulic cam for a 440 on a +0.30 10.5:1 compression, 906 heads with big valves and a slight port job hydraulic rockers, standard inlet and exhaust manifolds, manual brakes so no vacuum, 3.54 gears, 800 avs carb, will be going in a 69 Charger, i'm based in the UK, so preferably something from the big brands, thanks in advanced

Have you ever looked at the Mr Sixpack cams?

If you want a smooth idle, Isky 270 Mega. If you want some lope, Isky 280 Mega. Remember, cams are 'power shifters'. They taketh & shifteth......the rpm range.

Whatever you choose, have your factory lifters re-faced, because new lifters are made of crap-anium [ it is pre crap-anium....].

The 800 AVS [ great choice ] has 1 3/4" throttle bores; the original Carter 750 AVS had smaller 1 11/16" bores. So check your int manifold for clearance.

If you want a smooth idle, Isky 270 Mega. If you want some lope, Isky 280 Mega. Remember, cams are 'power shifters'. They taketh & shifteth......the rpm range.

Whatever you choose, have your factory lifters re-faced, because new lifters are made of crap-anium [ it is pre crap-anium....].

The 800 AVS [ great choice ] has 1 3/4" throttle bores; the original Carter 750 AVS had smaller 1 11/16" bores. So check your int manifold for clearance.
Thanks for that, it's still a fair way off, just getting as much info as possible

Got to be an 'old skool' 509 Mopar cam for me!
I've used several of the Lunatti VooDoo cams now and think the old cams are still better.
Modern cams are made of chewing gum and fail more times than not.
Just need to find one sitting on a shelf somewhere collecting dust...:bananaweed:

Got to be an 'old skool' 509 Mopar cam for me!
I've used several of the Lunatti VooDoo cams now and think the old cams are still better.
Modern cams are made of chewing gum and fail more times than not.
Just need to find one sitting on a shelf somewhere collecting dust...:bananaweed:
Thank you Polyjohn, you are the second person to recommend the 509, and buy chance he has one sitting on a shelf gathering dust, looks like i'll be going down the 509 route......

Curious, why are you leaning to the 509? Certainly not because 2 people mentioned it.

Personally, I like any of the other four cams recommended over the 509.

Also, can you share how you achieved 10.5:1 CR? There really aren’t any pistons that will get you there unless there has been a lot of extra machining done on the block and heads. Knowing the CR should factor into the cam choice.

Stock intake, marginal heads, stock iron exhaust, 4500rpm engine, add a big hydraulic 6000rpm cam; ....what could possibly go wrong,...lol!

Stock intake, marginal heads, stock iron exhaust, 4500rpm engine, add a big hydraulic 6000rpm cam; ....what could possibly go wrong,...lol!
What would you recommend? the heads will have big valves port work and a skim, the inlet will be port matched, rods are lightened and end to end balanced, six pack pistons, I'm guessing 10.5:1, It's a 4 speed with no power so not worried about vacuum, probably have the cam installed a couple of degrees advanced maybe going for an FBO ignition so plenty of advance.

If you used the 2355 six pack piston with reasonable machining on the deck and heads with a 0.020” shim head gasket, you might be as high as 9.7:1 CR. Could be lower. Your pump gas probably won’t support anything more than 9.7 anyways unless you’re planning to add racing fuel.

If you used the 2355 six pack piston with reasonable machining on the deck and heads with a 0.020” shim head gasket, you might be as high as 9.7:1 CR. Could be lower. Your pump gas probably won’t support anything more than 9.7 anyways unless you’re planning to add racing fuel.
We have some decent fuel over here our super unleaded is 99 octane

exhaust manifolds kill the benefit of large overlap cams. Factory cast iron intake kills all power above 5200 rpm. Lower compression motor prefer advanced, tighter overlap cams.

We have some decent fuel over here our super unleaded is 99 octane
Your gas is probably the RON rating, verses (R+M)/2 rating. It makes a difference

First, your math may, or may not be correct. Two fuels with the same RON, might not have the same MON. And therefore a different (R+M)/2 rating.

Open chamber iron head, 9.7 CR will probably be okay, depending on the cam and several other variables.

Sixpack spec, 1970 engine build we are copying here.
Gonna be in the 10's comp. without a doubt.

We have used all the cams available up to 0.500 lift and they is pretty tame!

Just need to run a ten and all will be good...:blah:

Best cam we ever used was a 590 MP, now that's gooden.

Auto Transport Service
Back