• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cam plug question

furyus

Local time
8:32 AM
Reaction score
I'm putting together the short block for my 505. I'm using a hydraulic roller. My machinist didn't put the rear cam plug in, saying he wasn't 100% on if it was different from a HFT cam. He didn't know if it needed a special plug. I'm sure it just uses the stock cam plug, but I'd rather ask a dumb question, than a dumb mistake.
Before anyone tells me what a dumbass my machinist is, I have a 390 FE Ford truck. I've seen where the rear cam plug is either a very shallow one, or the standard one is reversed..

I assembled my B block and installed my roller cam. I do not recall a "rear" cam plug, or a cam plug at all in it. Did I miss something? I did use a nylon cam button at the front to prevent any chance of "cam walk".

Is this just a stroked 440? If so, it would just use the stock BB Mopar plug EPC-84 which is 2 9/64" and is installed normally with the cup facing in. The Ford 390 FE Block uses what is called a "Reverse Taper" plug as the cam is very close to the plug, and would rub on the cam if installed normally.

I couldnt find specific instructions in my How To FE book but one picture of an assembled engine showed the open face of the plug facing forward towards the interior of the engine. May need a second opinion though. I’ll see if I have a picture of the rear of the assembled FE engine I had built awhile back.

Is this just a stroked 440? If so, it would just use the stock BB Mopar plug EPC-84 which is 2 9/64" and is installed normally with the cup facing in. The Ford 390 FE Block uses what is called a "Reverse Taper" plug as the cam is very close to the plug, and would rub on the cam if installed normally.
The cam plugs I always use are the flat curved style. Light film of sealer around the perimeter and put the plug in place raised side out. One good wack in the center with a hammer and its set.

I assembled my B block and installed my roller cam. I do not recall a "rear" cam plug, or a cam plug at all in it. Did I miss something? I did use a nylon cam button at the front to prevent any chance of "cam walk".
There's the plug at the back of the block where the block was machined from the factory for the cam bores. It looks like a Freeze plug. If you didn't put it in, you would know it.

Auto Transport Service
Back