• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam question for 67 GTX

My recollection is that there wasn’t any “damage” to anything, and that a different set of lifters, and perhaps a cam change provided satisfactory results.

But...... I read that thread a few years ago, so I may be off on the details.

For myself, anything that was even remotely that noisy would be totally unacceptable.

I grew up with mostly Chevies... Most of us (The gang) had 2nd generation Z28's... I know the 70 LT1 had solids, not sure if 71-72 did, ( I think they did) 73 did not ( not an LT1 engine.... NEVER a problem, except for the pain in the rear of adjusting them...

Slant six's had solid lifters until '80.... I only ever heard 1 in my life that didn't sound like a sewing machine and that was in a '70 Dart that the guy actually bothered to adjust them...

Is it as bad as this one??

There was a thread on a forum somewhere that went with that video.
They had actually run the motor on an engine dyno making that racket.

No nothing like that.When it is cold you can here one on the passenger side but when it warms up you can barely hear it.It does have good compression but after about 4000 rpm's it falls on it's face.The car has sat for 4 years.I cleaned the tank and carb,changed plugs,previous owner installed a petronix unit.May be valve springs also.I would just rather go thru the upper end then i know what i got.

Auto Transport Service
Back