• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone give me a MSD Street Fire crash course?

Billccm

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:55 AM
Reaction score
Hello:
All of my previous B Body cars had the MOPAR 'orange box' ignition. Straightforward and I knew how it worked.
My newly acquired 68 Road Runner 383 has a MSD distributor and MSD Street Fire box. Seems to work just fine.
I have the manual, but it focuses on installation mostly and not much on troubleshooting, or theory of operation.
Any tips, tricks, things to watch for is appreciated. Also, how do you set the timing? There is no vacuum advance, either.
Thanks, and take care, Bill

Mechanical advance is set in the dizzy (springs/bushings), if its running good and you aren't racing the car leave it alone, someone already did it... As far as setting timing it is like any other system, set up your light (or vac gauge depending how you do it) and turn the dizzy to what you want..

Trouble shooting is also pretty straight forward if you have power and no spark, check coil, if its not the coil, cap, plugs, wires, it is your msd box, lol...

CD ignitions are the same as any other, you can think of that "box" as your module, then you still have a simple distributor and coil.

Hello:
All of my previous B Body cars had the MOPAR 'orange box' ignition. Straightforward and I knew how it worked.
My newly acquired 68 Road Runner 383 has a MSD distributor and MSD Street Fire box. Seems to work just fine.
I have the manual, but it focuses on installation mostly and not much on troubleshooting, or theory of operation.
Any tips, tricks, things to watch for is appreciated. Also, how do you set the timing? There is no vacuum advance, either.
Thanks, and take care, Bill

Auto Transport Service
Back