• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone tell me what the Thread/pitch on 1971 Charger Steering column shaft is?

PFG MOPAR

Local time
5:19 AM
Reaction score
The nut that holds the steering wheel on ??
Mine is obliterated beyond recognition and I would like to re-thread it.
A lug nut almost fits :eek:

Thanks,

Mike.

Mike,
If you go to boltdepot.com and click on 'Fastener Information' then click on 'Printable Fastener Tools' you'll see a thread gauge that you can print out and use to identify different threads per inch and pitch. Make sure your browser is set to 100% (actual size) or the scale will be off. I've found this chart to be very handy.

You could count the threads and measure the length.

ie; if you have 10 full threads in 1/2" length then 1" = 20 threads per inch.

1/2" X 20 in case anybody needs to know..

At least that's what I cut it to..

:eek:

Now I just gotta find a nut !

Mike..

F*in Aye .. Wish someone told me that before I re-threaded mine as 1/2" !!

:angryfire:

Mike.

$20. for a nut .. :cussing: I'll be checkin the local hardware store later..

Patience my friend, you asked and re-threaded the same day

Well, a lug nut is 1/2" x 20. If you use a standard 1/2" x 20 nut, put a dab of Loc-tite on it when you go on with it.

I have a steering shaft from a 67 B that is 9/16'ths fine. Seems to be they are all over the place....

9/16" looks to be closer.. (to the 1/2" I started the rethread @)

I have a steering shaft from a 67 B that is 9/16'ths fine. Seems to:sad: be they are all over the place....

Anyone have one that ain't $20.00 :eusa_eh:

I couldn't find a 11/16" at ANY hardware store.

Mike..

Ace?

In the back by the key machine.

They do make and sell thread pitch gauges!!! They are pretty cheap to !!:headbang:

I was trying to do this quickly so I could move the car and kinda rushed into it.
Now I have to because I sold my house.
:icon_frown:
The car is now steerable for flatbed purposes but makes a terrible grinding noise.
(the bearing seemed fine?) I still haven't found a 11/16" nut.

Mike..

If the grinding noise seems to come from when you steer, check under the hood following the steering shaft into the housing right before the firewall, if you lowered the column and didn't get all the bushings lined up, washers etc, it could be riding high into that housing at the firewall, a quick inspection will tell, then you'll know you need to re drop the column and make sure its bolted up correctly, just one idea to look at.

11/16"-20 or 3/4"-20 ???

I see both on fleabay ..

Damn .. $17.99 for a nut !!

:eusa_doh:

Mike..

00n0n_c1Ms0Hn7fbF_600x450.jpg

You guys got me interested, so I measured my 69 roadrunner; its 1/2 x 20. Gauges are a couple of bucks, Thexton makes them, can get on amazon. I found Marshall's hardware in San Diego carries an amazing assortment of all kinds of fasteners, can order via phone or internet.

little info

guys, slow down a little bit. it is 1/2" x 20. that is 1/2" major thread diameter x 20 threads per inch. 11/16 or 3/4" may be the hex size and that is the wrench size. it isn't any wonder that a 11/16 (diameter) x 20 nut costs so much, it would be over 1-3/8 diameter. go to a junk yard or a Fastenal store.
pt in tennessee

I give up.

Way honkin wrong size !!

:angryfire:

Too large. pturner was right..

I'm leaving the 1/2" (lugnut) I re-threaded it to on for now..
(only went an inch in, left the original threads intact)
Gonna go buy a pitch gauge ..
:eek:

Mike..

Auto Transport Service
Back