• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I do this in a garage?

detMatt1

I wanted to add that your skill level is way past mine. It appears when you are done, you will have a "not for sale at any price car." How did you learn to do all that work? I have two spots that will have to be welded. One is the rounded corner of the body under the right door and the other is an 'L' shaped hole (after I cut out the bad metal) that would run behind the glove box toward the floor of the car. I have no idea how to weld anything but an acquaintance who welds for a living may help. I am hoping he will give me some training. If I could go back in time, I would have taken shop class after shop class in school.

Not sure if that's actually a compliment or not, I would think that it would be near impossible to restore a car with balls that big. They would constantly be getting hung up on crossbracing!

LMAO!! :naka:

inspector71, I'd just be echoing what others have already stated. Yes of course it can be done in a garage.

102_5629.jpg

102_5681.jpg

102_5755.jpg

102_5856.jpg

Resampled_2012-04-22_19-41-01_52.jpg

2012-04-22_19-40-31_256.jpg

2012-04-29_16-35-47_177.jpg

Granted, the belly of my car hasn't been stripped of it's old undercoating completely, and I fall far short of the detail a lot of these guys are achieving with the leave no bolt unturned sorts of rebuilds showcased in this great forum. But I'm building a driver, and my goal is to have what people will call "pretty g'damn nice for a driver". :grin:

I'm not pulling my dash at this point, same with my engine and trans... but I have located all of my rust and removed it and replaced with new metal. I will have what I think will be a respectable cruiser that will get me to some of the small town shows and cruise in events and I'll drive the car to work a lot too.

And I'm doing it ALL in my garage by myself.

I wanted to add that your skill level is way past mine. It appears when you are done, you will have a "not for sale at any price car." How did you learn to do all that work? I have two spots that will have to be welded. One is the rounded corner of the body under the right door and the other is an 'L' shaped hole (after I cut out the bad metal) that would run behind the glove box toward the floor of the car. I have no idea how to weld anything but an acquaintance who welds for a living may help. I am hoping he will give me some training. If I could go back in time, I would have taken shop class after shop class in school.

Not to discourage you about getting help, but I bought my road runner thinking that my brother-in-law who welds for a living and my uncle-in-law who retired as a welder would help. I mentioned welding sheet metal and they stopped talking to me.

Eventually I sucked it up, bought a decent MiG, and practiced every day for about 6 months until I felt good about actually starting to weld on my car. I still stink at it honestly, but I'm not worried that I'll ruin anything. FWIW, I'm 51, proving old dogs can learn new tricks.

I think I have the same two bad spots on my car as you described, and I'll get to them eventually :D My car is nothing like the examples seen on this site. Guys like Propwash, Detmatt, and Donny are inspiring.

10 years ago everyone was looking for a PARTS car. Now thanks to some new reproduction parts, which were way over due anything can be repaired. I only wish I would have kept a few of the parts cars that I let go years ago.

Not sure if that's actually a compliment or not, I would think that it would be near impossible to restore a car with balls that big. They would constantly be getting hung up on crossbracing!

That is Friggin Hilarious Matt! :rofl:

Two comments, first when can you fit me into your schedule. You sir, do superb work. Posting pictures like yours is more important than you may realize. I am not experienced at this, even though I'm far from young, and there are days I go out into the garage and wonder if it is worth it. And then I see your pictures, am inspired, and get back to work again. The final product, your car, is outstanding. Like I said, I'm inspired.

No problem buddy...and thanks for the compliment. If someone can learn from my resto and all the other great resto threads on this site...mission accomplished! I think a lot of us resto guys lean on each other here and there for inspiration, I know I do. We've all been in those rut's, moments of doubt or overwhelmingness, but a couple minutes here can change all that. That's what makes this site truely great. Hope to see your Charger soon and many many more resto threads pop up in the future here on FBBO.

Not to discourage you about getting help, but I bought my road runner thinking that my brother-in-law who welds for a living and my uncle-in-law who retired as a welder would help. I mentioned welding sheet metal and they stopped talking to me.

Eventually I sucked it up, bought a decent MiG, and practiced every day for about 6 months until I felt good about actually starting to weld on my car. I still stink at it honestly, but I'm not worried that I'll ruin anything. FWIW, I'm 51, proving old dogs can learn new tricks.

I think I have the same two bad spots on my car as you described, and I'll get to them eventually :D My car is nothing like the examples seen on this site. Guys like Propwash, Detmatt, and Donny are inspiring.

Thank Bob.....Even though you're not dealing with a full blown resurrection like some of us, you still took the initiative to learn, put in the hard work and tackled the project. Honestly, those virtues are what it's all about!

Garagemahal

Anything can be done in a garage...just need proper planning. :book1:

I can't thank you guys {Will & Matt & Ron & Dave & Donny & Rob&Stu} enough for your threads...i learned a sh*tload and most importantly...

all that makes me want to tear into the GTX and DO SOMETHING!!!!:hello2:

There are hoists on the market that are made for low ceilings i.e standard garages. A hoist has a lot more long term benefit over a rotisserie, you can use it for all your cars servicing, brakes, wheels etc etc as well as resto work.

I recently pulled the diff and fuel tank, POR15'd the underbody, replaced most of it and it was pretty easy, and I did it all without help. The MaxJax hoist gives you 4 feet underneath to play with so u just roll around on a little wheeled chair.

Here's mine

coroupanddiffout.jpg

diffin1.jpg

Superfreek, SgtPaul, The Swede, Jay, the list goes on, keep up the great work and keep posting everone! myself included.

Parts cars? Here ya go, stupidity in action, the white car is a 68 GTX, the one in the background, in primer, is a 70 GTX. Yea, both got scrapped.

CHOPSHOP-1.jpg

Yeah, Lift-check, Rotisserie x2-check, Overhead crane-no go, Dolly x3-check. ALL are very important to do these jobs WAY EASIER! True that the Rotisserie is not the be all/end all tool, I use it mainly for media blasting, and then perhaps SOME metal repairs.

Thanks Inspector71. You're right the "DOG" won't be for sale at any price but not because I couldn't get my money back out of it. I'm actually doing very well on it as far as money spent but I don't keep track of the time I have into it. How'd I learn to do it? On that car is how! This is my first full resto and I learned by doing, pure and simple!

Parts cars? Here ya go, stupidity in action, the white car is a 68 GTX, the one in the background, in primer, is a 70 GTX. Yea, both got scrapped.

CHOPSHOP-1.jpg

Holy crap...is that the Zac Brown Band? LOL

J/K funny how not even that long ago we all took things for granted on these cars

Detmatt1

I'm fairly certain you have broken a record on how deep someone can possibly get into their car.... Yah... You must have loved puzzles as a kid. Damn impressive.

I believe your Runner was turquois? Not sure how rare it was for '68, but I have a Q5 '69 (lighter color) and supposedly it was pretty uncommon. I think the oddest thing on that car is that it has original upper belt mouldings.

This was my favorite car at the Farmington MN show 2 years ago. Obviously you don't need any inspiration, but....

Attachments

• Copy of 68 GTX-RR (1).JPG
    Copy of 68 GTX-RR (1).JPG
    98 KB · Views: 176
Thanks has2bmopar! I've been told that the LL1 wasn't available the whole year on the Road Runner in `68, only about 4 months. I have no idea if thats true or not but I certainly do love the color and am glad that there was still some of it left in pristine condition on the "DOG" when I got it. It made it really easy to pick a color that I wanted the car to be. That `68 GTX is a ewal sweetheart! any motivation is good!

I'm not certain that they had that color before '67, but I do believe it is my favorite color of '67-'68, so excellent luck in having the code on your data plate, and I look forward to seeing it when you're done.

Here's another one for you.

Attachments

• 68 GTX (2).jpg
    68 GTX (2).jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 146
What data tag? Unfortunately the "DOG" didn't come with any documentation at all but it was still wearing the original paint in alot of hidden spots. Took the stainless covers off the b-pillars and found it there as well as in the front and rear glass channels and on the firewall behind the master cylinder mounting plate. I really do wish that I did have the fender tag and build sheet for this car because I've been told that it is pretty rare to come accross a `68 LL1 post coupe bird with air, decor package, no power steering or power brakes and a 4 spd! I do know that it spent the early part of its life in FL and assume that it was probably bought new there. It is one of my favorite colors for `68 too and I am beside myself with excitement to see it painted!

Auto Transport Service
Back