• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can i take Car down the track with original lap belt?

73dart360

Local time
10:04 AM
Reaction score
I want to go to the track soon and was wondering if they will let me run the car with the original lap belt that came with the 67 coronet ,there is no post to install a shoulder belt any ideas?The car is probably in the 13 second range .

if car did not come with shoulder belt, you should be good to go

you are good to go you can go up to 11.50 on stock seat belts

make sure all your lug nuts are there and also you must have a radiator overflow tank attached and working

Haven't been racing in several years now....when did the drive shaft loop come into the rules for all cars?

if you are running slicks you got to have drive shaft loop no matter how fast your car is

if you are running slicks you got to have drive shaft loop no matter how fast your car is

Is that in the rule book or just a recommendation? Seems a little excessive, real slicks or DOT approved? Just curious is all, would hate to put ET streets on my car and get embarassed at tech.

I would call your local track, it's going to be up to them. Mine requires a helmet but everything else can be bone stock if you are slower than 13.9

The driveshaft loop won't be required for something in 13 seocnd range with treaded tires. Slicks, it would be required.

I run a driveshaft loop and D.O.T. legal bias ply slicks and they never even look under my car even though I think it's required even for the D.O.T. slicks.

If your new to racing they will be checking everything
spit out a driveshaft with old u joints and see what happens when your driveshaft bit the pavement transmission side down

spit out a driveshaft with old u joints and see what happens when your driveshaft bit the pavement transmission side down

Well a good driveshaft is something anybody at the track should have. U joints breaking anytime are bad, car wont catapult into the air, but it would be unpleasant.

I dont think you are allowed more than 12 inches of rubber in the under hood fuel line and battery must be strapped down.Loop is for slicks.Fuel cell requires trunk be sheet metalled off from pass. compartment and battery box if in the trunk.

Seen lots of shafts come out of race cars and never saw one bite into the pavement even when the front u-joint broke. They will however beat the snot out of the under side of the car....and anyone going to the track with worn out joints deserve a beat up under carriage. School of really hard knocks lol

Here's a scenario for ya. You could have a car running 11.51 with 50 year-old lap belts and be considered safe to go down the track and another car running 11.49 with a rollbar and a five-point aftermarket harness only it's expired by a few days, weeks, months - whatever - and they could tell you to go home because it's not safe.

I hear that 67satty,, Nextweek I will be taking a 64 Dart street car that may run a low 16 et. I have expired(by a few months) race belts from my neighbors car installed. "IF" they give me a hard time I will be bringing the 50 year old lap belt with me. I sure won't feel safe if they make me use them..

Auto Transport Service
Back